Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roaring creek construction?

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
We hit roaring creek for our Tuesday night ride yesterday and were a bit surprised to find the parking area chained off, some kind of construction taking place, and detours posted in many spots. Anyone know what's going on? I'm hoping they didn't lease it out for logging.

#3 · (Edited)
DCNR is building a new administration facility for Weiser State Forest in the area surrounding the parking lot on the east side of Rt 42 that was clear cut about 2 years ago. This has been planned for a few years. It's two buildings - one a 10,000 sqft administration bldg, and another 5,000 sqft maintenance bldg. As far as I know, once construction is complete it will have minimal impact on trail access. Hopefully :confused::confused: In the interim, you have to park on the pull-off across the street.

Abridged Building Plans

#6 ·
I rode by recently on my motorcycle and saw the construction trailers being set into place. Glad to see the old faded building elevation drawing that was hanging on the gate next to the parking lot is finally being built.
Thanks for posting the site plan link, looks like a nice complex being built.

I am planning on riding the trails over there hopefully Saturday so we will see how it goes.

David

#12 ·
no, what I was thinking of is on the other side of 42. If you take Big Mountain across 42 and go through to it's woodline exit, it USED to take you up some doubletrack - not quite out to the road - and on up the hill. I think that part is been "cleaned" into "gone" if you get my drift.

"the look" huh? Well, if they didn't fence it off from the other side what should they expect?

#17 ·
Decided to ride the lower loop on the east side of 42 which worked out for a nice ride. Did not run into anyone down there, I wonder how many people acutally use those trails down there on that side.
Not enough, probably. I need to explore those too.

I love the stuff on top though, and the other side of the hill, towards Willburton. Some great stuff out there.

( I had started at Natalie side, FWIW, I'm a little off my rocker as it were )

#19 ·
why yes, yes I did. ;^)

you caught me right before I rode the stupid road up to the top.

it's one of my private "training" exercises ... when I got to the point I could do it non-stop on a singlespeed I stopped caring.

addendum: have ever seen how much your bike shakes side to side in the rack? "whew" I'm sure it's solidly in there but man, probaly 30d of lean when you pulled in!

#20 ·
I just got this bike and the bracket does not go as high on the bottom tube as my old bike which didn't move much, still secure though. Saving for a hitch and rack.

Wait, so you rode the full loop from Natalie around the lakes then back to Natalie along the top trail? If so wow I guess I need some more miles lol.

#21 ·
Wait, so you rode the full loop from Natalie around the lakes then back to Natalie along the top trail? If so wow I guess I need some more miles lol.
Some say that I'm not completely sane.

They'd be right.

I started on top on the N side, came down Old Natalie Miner's Trail (1 I think, West) - fun fun descent that - motored across - then up the pain and worked my way back. I wasn't feeling strong enough to hit the trails east of '42 though, maybe next time. It makes for a great loop, but learning more of the singletrack eastward of 42 on the bottom and how to work it uphill would be fabulous. Harder, but more fun than climbing on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.