Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc newb needs help

640 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike T. 
#1 ·
I have new Avid Juicy 7's and I pretty sure I bedded them in exactly wrong. I was so excited to get out on my new ride, I took it out right after a rain and pounded around in the mud for a few hours. Lot's of steep up's and downs and thick mud. It got so bad that I had to pour water through the calipers to get the mud out. You could hear it grinding. Stupid me. The next ride featured a quite a bit of brake squeal. What did I expect? Anyway, I cleaned the rotors with alcohol and rubbed the pads with alcohol as well. They still squeal. I inspected the rotors last night and they are glazed with rings in them. The pads are glazed as well. After reading as much as a could about it, Here is what I have planned.

Make sure all the bolts are tightened.

Clean the Pads by removing the pads and rubbing them in a circular motion on top of emery cloth which is on a bench until the glaze is removed.

Clean the Rotors:
I have found conflicting info on cleaning rotors. Should I just use a brake cleaner like clean streak or should I use a fine emery cloth on the rotor while I spin the wheel?

Then I should bed them in right. A long slow descent with the brakes applied lightly.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I don't think you've got too much to worry about here Crank. I don't think you've done any permanent damage if any damage at all. I'll address some points -

old crank said:
........pretty sure I bedded them in exactly wrong.
Hmmmm well it may not have been ideal (30-100 stops from a decent speed is about ideal) I don't think this would have caused a problem.

The next ride featured a quite a bit of brake squeal. What did I expect?
Haaa brake squeal, or the lack of, is not an indication of whether a brake has been bedded in right or wrong. Some bikes (brakes?) never squeal, some always squeal.

I cleaned the rotors with alcohol and rubbed the pads with alcohol as well.
Do this to get back to the start - remove the pads and lay some sandpaper (not too course or fine) on a flat surface. Rub the pads on it until any shine is removed. Dust them off.

I inspected the rotors last night and they are glazed with rings in them.
What do you mean by glazed rotors? My definition of glazed rotors is rotors with melted pad material stuck to them. I'll bet yours aren't like this. Rings are ok.

Make sure all the bolts are tightened.
Oh for sure.

Clean the Pads by removing the pads and rubbing them in a circular motion on top of emery cloth which is on a bench until the glaze is removed.
Perfect!

Clean the Rotors:
I have found conflicting info on cleaning rotors. Should I just use a brake cleaner like clean streak or should I use a fine emery cloth on the rotor while I spin the wheel?
Just use Isopropyl Alcohol that all brake makers suggest.

Then I should bed them in right. A long slow descent with the brakes applied lightly.
Edited - Well maybe 30-100 stops like brake makers suggest. I did my last set messing around in the driveway while waiting for a late riding buddy to arrive.

Any other suggestions?
Yeah join me in a glass of red wine that I'm going to have in a few minutes.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.