Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Titanium?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  howat 
#1 ·
I have a Fantom Pro 29SL which I like a lot but I am in the position to be able to spring for one of their ti frames. However, I am a fairly healthy 235 and wondering if that might not be wise move due to frame flex. I am not so much wanting a lighter bike but have heard great things about ti smoothing out the ride. What do you think.

#2 · (Edited)
Go for it !!

I'm 6'4" 235 and I've had the Fly Ti for a little less than a
year now. It's the best bike I've ever owned!

(Click on my name and read my posts)

I'm no shill for bikesdirect (BD), I just have high regard for their business model and their ability to give the general public a high quality product at reasonable prices. Folks go and on about supporting your local bike shop (lbs). I'm all for that, but in these hard times does that mean I should spend my $2100 bucks on a bike from my lbs that is literally 2 or 3 levels below the Fly Ti in high end components, weight, and frame materials? I think I'm going the bang for the buck route everytime! I still buy accessories, etc from the bike shops, but really, what special allegiance do I owe them? They wanted to sell me a bike that on BD would cost $1100 for the LBS price of $2100! I spent the $2100 alright, but for that price I got a titanium framed, professional level, XC mountain bike with higher level components! You're already a Moto owner, so you already know BD has great after sale support.

Once the LBS got it into my head that in order to get into the game proper I needed to be prepared to spend at least $2k, then I began looking for the best $2k bike available. When I came across the Fly Ti, it was a no brainer!!!

#9 ·
Your quote, sir, precisely articulates the reason why I went with mine Moto FLY Team 29 Titanium. Looking around for sale forums, LBS and (heck) even Ebay, nothing can precisely match the value of BD and Motobecane.

I'm 6'4" 235 and I've had the Fly Ti for a little less than a
year now. It's the best bike I've ever owned!

(Click on my name and read my posts)

I'm no shill for bikesdirect (BD), I just have high regard for their business model and their ability to give the general public a high quality product at reasonable prices. Folks go and on about supporting your local bike shop (lbs). I'm all for that, but in these hard times does that mean I should spend my $2100 bucks on a bike from my lbs that is literally 2 or 3 levels below the Fly Ti in high end components, weight, and frame materials? I think I'm going the bang for the buck route everytime! I still buy accessories, etc from the bike shops, but really, what special allegiance do I owe them? They wanted to sell me a bike that on BD would cost $1100 for the LBS price of $2100! I spent the $2100 alright, but for that price I got a titanium framed, professional level, XC mountain bike with higher level components! You're already a Moto owner, so you already know BD has great after sale support.

Once the LBS got it into my head that in order to get into the game proper I needed to be prepared to spend at least $2k, then I began looking for the best $2k bike available. When I came across the Fly Ti, it was a no brainer!!!

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. Are you evenly proportioned and do you ever wish you had a larger frame in terms of reach or bar height? Since posting this, I have been looking at other brands and learned Specialized and Trek both have XXL frames which might fit me better.

I also have no problem dealing with BD. I had a warranty issue and they handled it as well if not better than an LBS would have. Considering the poor service and advice I have received at LBSs, buying at BD is a guilt free.

#4 · (Edited)
How tall are you? When I was looking to buy I went to my local bike shops to get sizing cues. BD recomends sizing using the Trek Paragon as a reference. I couldn't find one of those in XL but do remember the Specialized Rockhopper Comp in XL being similiar in fit to my now Moto Fly Ti. Unfortunately, it was also similiar in price too, but with way inferior components! Try that one out if you can find it.

The fly Ti in XL has a long 110mm stem so it stretches me out over the bike in a more racing like position. That was perfect for my build - a lanky, b-ball playing frame; and riding style - XC trails.

#5 ·
I am 6' 4 3/4". I live in southern BC and might have to make trip to Spokane to see if I can find the above bikes to try out. However, it's always hard to find dealers who stock XLs.

I am not so concerned about reach but bar height. I know HT length isn't always a good indicator but that's about all I have to go off of when looking at geo.

Odiggy, would it be too much to ask you to measure your HT length on your XL and from the ground to the top of your stem cap (at the steerer tube). That would really help. I asked BD but have yet to hear back.

I just noticed the Fantom Ti has a different geo than the Fly. Longer TTH but a shorter HT than even my Fantom 29er.

One of the drawbacks to mail order but obviously worth it if I can get it sorted out.

#7 · (Edited)
Odiggy, would it be too much to ask you to measure your HT length on your XL and from the ground to the top of your stem cap (at the steerer tube). That would really help. I asked BD but have yet to hear back.
Ground to center (bolt) of stem cap is: 40.5"

Length from axle to axle is: 45.5"

Also, you can go to Motobecane's website for the geometrys of different sizes of the Fly Team 29er frame and all other Motobecane bikes:

Motobecane USA | 29er Mountain Bikes

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Thanks Odiggy.

Actually I was hoping to get the HT (head tube length) which BD doesn't show on their site. They got back to me and said they thought it was there but realized it wasn't but still haven't got a measurement. They also said I might be better off on the Fantom Ti which is is supposed to have longer TTL than the fly and would get a rider more upright.

Thanks for the stem height, that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.