Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Paul comp v levers any good ?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
i am looking to buy a pair of new v-brakes. trying to lighten up the mtb.

i am looking at paul, avid or xtr.

i would like some pros and cons.

thank you in advance
dirt diggler

#2 ·
levers

dirt diggler said:

thank you in advance
dirt diggler
Just set up a bike with the love levers recently, very well made, and excellent rim feel, i liked them better than the Avid 7.0's that they replaced...a little shorter than the XTR, and the avids are the longest. They make the pauls levers for twist shifters, and a standard set for the folks using triggers ( the twist levers position the blade further out on the bar ). Personally i think the Avid Ultimate's are still my personal favorite...i'm a sucker for the external leverage adjuster.

any questions let me know
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chad@redbarnbicycles.com

#3 ·
dirt diggler said:

thank you in advance
dirt diggler
mr diggler,
i have used the paul love levers, a very old version of them, which i got for my birthday in 1995. i can't say much about the compatibility of the new levers available today with grip shift or triggers, but one thing that has not changed from the older levers i have is the pivot design.
the pivot consists of a threaded brass bushing with an allen key hole on one side, and then another allen key piece, also made of brass, which threads into the inside of the bushing. when you screw the two pieces together, it sandwiches the brake lever handle onto the handlebar clamp.
i found that the brass bushing could get contaminated and dirty after wet rides, and when i didn't keep that bushing clean, dirt and grime would actually get sort of ground into the surface of the brass bushing. no big deal, really, just something worth pointing out.
the lever shape on those levers is also really wide and flat. some people hate that, i myself am a fan, and think that the love levers were the most comfortable i ever used.
tim

#4 ·
Used the Paul Love levers for awhile on one NRS (pic)

...and loved them. Still have them even. When I went to B4SLs on the race bike, the other black nrs got its Hayes Mag hydros..um..hand-me-downs.

The levers feel sweet. Several at the LW forum like them also. Dirt Boy used them for on his racebike, and may still. I dunno tho. Got mine for $85 from webcyclery.com. Red ones no less. I haven't a pic of them in use..go figure.LOL!

Just took a pic of my set so you know the style. Think about 115gms. Much lighter then the Avid Ti's, and look better. The blue cap is a vbrake boss cap. Do great for not scatching ones car in the parking lot. Especially with these. The pivot pin is ti, and the pinch bolts are alum. Yes indeedy....

Yes, I have waaay too much stuff me thinks. Need to sell some stuff so I can get more stuff, maybe.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.