Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon cranks

10K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  General Mayhem 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

A friend told me that my interest in carbon crank for an AM setup is not very sound.

Any horror stories regarding carbon cranks to share? Or are they good to go through regular "technical trails" with small jumps (not more than 5 ft)?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I run a set of SRAM carbon cranks on my Enduro EVO and their terrific. I have no reservations regarding strength or durability. This particular bike sees most of its time on really rocky, techy trails with plenty of drops from 3 to 6 feet. Never had an issue.

#4 ·
Carbon cranks are plenty strong for all-mountain riding. My only reservation with them is running them on trails I'm unfamiliar with, or while doing particularly technical rocky sections that I don't have dialed yet. I've seen plenty of tests where folks whack carbon with hammers and nothing happens, but I can't shake the thought of gouging my carbon on a rock from the back of my mind.

One thing I would recommend if you're going with carbon cranks are those crankarm boots that protect the tips of your cranks when they strike the ground.

#7 ·
If you ride rocky terrain you will smack and scar your crank arms eventually.

I've been running RaceFace SixC cranks for close to two years and they're pretty much set and forget.
The crank arm 'boots' do help but be prepared to curse when you do smack them.

Other than that, no other issues.

#14 · (Edited)
Bikewagon had some of these in red on clearance for $209 (IIRC, it was shipped price)

I matched these to a King BB for $109 and a pair of RaceFace crank boots...OH so nice! :)

The Noir 3.3s require very specific torque specs. So, my only suggestion to you is to be careful w/ installation of carbon cranks. Other than that, plenty stiff :thumbsup:

#31 ·
S-works carbon cranks and cannondale alu cranks are the lightest around.

But the c'dale cost about 2.5x the spec.

I have been rockin a set of FSA SLK light carbon cranks for about 4 months now w/ a BB30. Quite a bit stiffer and maybe 250g lighter than the Deore cranks/BB I swapped out. Cost about $250 on sale. Have smacked more than a few rocks with them and they are no worse for the wear.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.