Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightest Fatbike

99K views 242 replies 95 participants last post by  mortenste 
#1 ·
Who thinks they've got the lightest Fatbike out there? How light can you get with these beasts and how I'd you get there? Just curious. Oh, and these should be real-world weights unlike those many manufacturers choose to list!

#2 ·
Yes please, let's see them!

Weight 907 SS 26.74lbs

Joke was I built this 907 up for a 24 hour race (BFs were temporary), but I ended up using my Pugsley in full dress mudguards etc, and I think it weighed over 40lbs in race mode.

#7 ·
Agreed on the momentum issue. My wife's Wednesday weighs 36 with the Lefty, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to drop that significantly. To put it into perspective, my Pugs weighs 20% of my body weight, hers is 30%. If I can get to 30 (without the lefty) on hers without going too crazy, I'll be happy.

#16 ·
Intense Mag30 rim = ~850grams
Nokian Gazzaloddi 26x2.6 = 1350grams
Nokian Gazzaloddi 26x3.0 = 1550grams

My Fatback has...

Fat Shebas = 850grams
Larry's = 1350grams?

Hilarious that my Fatback wheels weigh less than some wheels people used to DH on... I used to DH on... Can't believe that... when I get my new MTB built up, it's going to feel so fast :p

#20 ·
Not the lightest, but real world weights

I was paying attention to weight, but not a slave to it, when building this bike. (I have a single speed and road bike for that game.) Significant savings came from E*13 crank, Marge Lite wheels, and carbon bars. Potential weight savings could be achieved with lighter pedals, stem, grips, and brakes. Realistic future weight savings may come from carbon fork and Surly light tubes. I only went the route of a titanium frame, because I could afford it and I have to work with paint quality issues all day. Current Weight: about 32 lbs.

Attachments

#24 ·
I have an old Ti Fatback frame like Thirstys built up between 27.5# and 29.5# depending on summer or winter wheels. Also a 2011 Mukluk at just over 30# but the two frames are only grams apart, it is my sons bike and he has to buy his own light parts. We also have a small alu Fatback and it is just under 30# also with a few heavier parts than the Ti.

#31 ·
I gotta say I'm somewhat perplexed by some of the weights here. Mine being one of the lightes frames (Muk 2) and pretty light stuff on it inluding the lightest brakes out there, they took off over a pound alone and seeing the sub thirty weights of some bikes with similar stuff makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

#41 ·
The funny thing is ,todays fatbikes are probably around the same weight (or maybe lighter) then alot of the early MTbikes from the 80`s & early 90`s (yea yea I know I`am old) & a lot more fun to ride IMO.Plus I know when I get on my Lynskey ridgeline (23lbs ) its like WOW ,especialy going up hill.

#43 ·
fine details like butted spokes or Ti bolts help, but really i think the wheels and tires are the biggest variance. My pugs http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/1x10-pugs-build-skinny-754981.html was 28lb 13 oz when i first built it with crazy light endo/larry that weighed it at 2600g. than i switched to a big fat larry and a 27tpi nate for the rear and it was a gain of 680g :eek: more recently i moved to tubeless and swapped a carver fork dropping most of the weight back off. the carver fork didn't like my hope rotors, so i swapped my 160/140 for some 160/160 avid rotors for another 70g increase.

the devils in the details

#44 ·
...the devils in the details
That's the secret to a light build IMO.

There's no need to spend a lot of money on delicate parts made of Unobtainium when the use of a bit of Drillium or Hackoffium does the same job.

An example, most people don't have their seat post at full extension, and so they could cut off any excess. Your basic alloy post can end up the same weight as that fancy Ti one that you couldn't bring yourself to shorten because you'd spent so much money on it. :)

However I will happily spend money on a lightweight part if it has the potential to be reused on another build. For example Middleburn cranks.

My object is always to have the bike no heavier than it has to be rather than getting it as light as possible.

#46 ·
2012 Large Fatback a touch under 29#'s

I don't have a hanger scale either so I weighed everything as it went on the bike. The only weight not included was the shifter cables.. here are a a few fat bike weight specs for the weight weenies..

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/new-fatback-build-colorado-front-range-766757.html#

I'd cut off the KORE post ( 410mm ouch!) if it didn't creak so much at the seat mount. I hate creaking.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.