Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

07 Paragon Value Help

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  raleigh5 
#1 ·
I just started mtb'ing earlier this spring. I'm currently borrowing a buddy's old RockHopper (early 90's). I've been kicking tires on some 29'ers in my area (San Antonio TX).

I found an '07 Paragon that is very clean on consignment at a LBS. The PO paid $2600 for it originally but the new ones are going for $2029 MSRP. At first they wanted $1975 but have since come down to $1575. I still think that's way too high for a now 5 year old bike. I've been reading that there have been some frame cracking issues with that year model and being the second owner, I might have a hard time replacing it under warranty.

I want to make them an offer and I'd like some advice. I'm not trying to take advantage or low ball them but don't want to pay more than it's worth (especially considering I might have to replace the frame down the road). I was thinking about offering them $750~800 for it. Is that in the ball park? I know the model has some decent bits on it but it's still a 5 year old bike.

Thanks...
A newbie trying to learn :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

On average, about how much do last year's model drop down in price when the new ones roll out?

While I don't necessarily need a "new" bike right now, one with the mfg warranty would be nice. An older model with better components would suite me fine. I'm still searching CL but haven't found what I want yet.

Thanks again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Give him $600 if it has good components... Cause it could break tomorrow---I have an 05' and built it up twice (no problems) and I ride some crazy stuff, BUT know folks who's cracked--and buying used means no warranty... See If he is original owner and will warranty it for you if it breaks.... Then you get a brand new 2012 frame if it breaks....

The fork probably needs rebuilt--even if it runs Okay--just being that old..(so thats $2-300 to get done right) The 2005 to 2007 models were built around a 38mm offset Reba. I put a new Reba on my second build--and it handles like a G2--sterring wise with a 46mm offset.

I paid $75 for a Paragon (2005) frame in 2008 and it looked Brand New! I got a steal on it, knowing it could break tomorrow..--BUT it turned out to be the best decision I made (health wise) since buying a weight set 20 years ago.. --My knees feel like they did 20 years ago with riding..

If you get the original warranty its then worth $800--But make sure crank, brakes etc. work good (or add new ones to the cost you'll have to pay)... But 1,500 if WAAYYY TOO MUCH---that's crazy!!--unless it has new XX components on it....
BUT my new rule of thu,b (especially on Fisher frames) and bike components in general is if you spend a few hundred on Anything, you'll want to have a warranty..

#6 ·
I am looking at a 2010 paragon that has been in a LBS rental fleet... it has been used, probably abused, all broken or worn parts have been replaced. The LBS is asking 1200.00 tops and they will probably come down quite a bit from that. I don't know if that helps you at all, but yeah, that sounds quite pricey.

Eirk

#7 ·
i just purchased a 2010 Paragon for 900. looks to be in excellent condition and it had some upgrades and came with a few extra bits as well. ok, the brakes had been switch to mechanical BB7's from original hydraulics. but i probably would have done that anways. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.