Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moots YBB 650b front 26er rear? Thoughts..

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Magnum Ti 
#1 ·
I would like to put a little twist on my 26er YBB. My Moots YBB is set up for a 100mm fork in which I have a White Brothers Magic 100 (26/650b as it says on the box). So in theory if I sent the fork back to WB and got it changed back down to 80mm travel (they will do this, I asked) I could run a 650b with no ill effects to geometry or strain on the frame? My 29er still feels like a monster and my YBB still feels like home. Discuss..

I guess I should really present this to Moots to get the final verdict.

#3 ·
you might like it with the 100mm fork. i recently put a 650b on the front of my ellsworth moment with a fox talas at 150mm and like it very much. i have not noticed any major detriment on technical climbs and the handling coming down was clearly enhanced.

i have a full Ti smoothie that i would am planning on fitment for a 650 in the rear; i know it will clear the front. it looks like it might be OK with a 2.0, i just need to pony up and have one built and try it.

#5 ·
I love mine. I set up mine as a 2x1 I ran several different forks on that bike and settled on a Maverick SC32 I've made some internal adjust for 650b and it yield an awesome ride. More stable cornering, I have not notice any increase sluggish in handling. On the climb it's still quick handling not flopping to the side like some homemade 96er I've tried.

Give it a shot you'll like it.

#8 ·
Last winter, I built up a Moots hardtail with a Fox Talus fork. 650 front 26 rear. There's an old thread somewhere on here with pictures. It rode like a dream. I changed travel from time to time, but ended up running it at 100mm most of the time. I have since moved on to other frames, but have very fond memories of that set up.

I would jump right in there with the 100 mm fork, and see if you like it before sending it back to reduce the travel.

Enjoy!!!

#9 ·
Cool thanks guys, guess I will try it at 100mm, before sending it back to White Brothers, its cheaper that way also. I ran a 100mm fork on my 98 YBB for years and also loved it, when the bike was really set up for 60-80mm. Its nice to know I have the option. My lBS yesterday thought I was a little odd, but also thought it would work

PS. Any good recommendations on purchasing just a front 650b disc wheel? Stay away from WTB rims?

#12 ·
WTB wheels are closer to a budget build. Some ppl expect a budget wheel to be a durable AM/DH hoop. Others expect budget to be a lightwieght XC hoop. I consider a budget AM wheel to be a midweight and durable XC hoop. Sometimes, the wheelbuilder can be the reason a wheel fails as well. They have been fine for my average trailriding of 1-3ft drops and at least light enough to not be an anchor.

#14 ·
Update

Moots, did get back to me and their recommendation was to indeed drop the travel down to 80mm, saying then it shouldn't play with the geometry too much. So I think I'll take their word for it and have the fork sent back to White Bros. to get it switched. Thanks all for the encouragement. :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.