Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper 29'er wheel problem resolved

629 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TomP 
#1 ·
I posted last week that my year-old Stumpjumper "Expert" 29'er had a serious problem with the spokes and nipples breaking on the DT Swiss "520SL" wheels that came with the bike, and asked for feedback. Thanks to all who responded with comments and advice. Even more thanks to the staff at Bike Source, who went to bat for me, and to Specialized, who agreed to replace my wheelset with an upgrade - their Roval "Control el 29's." I picked up the new wheels yesterday and look forward to giving them a workout.

#2 ·
Those wheels were an odd choice for that bike

I posted last week that my year-old Stumpjumper "Expert" 29'er had a serious problem with the spokes and nipples breaking on the DT Swiss "520SL" wheels that came with the bike, and asked for feedback...
I don't remember this post, but I bought the Comp version of that bike in Feb of 2010 and it came with the same wheels. I thought the wheels were a really weird choice for a bike that is pretty far toward the freeride end of the all-mountain spectrum. Take a 29" bike with a thru-axle front end and 130mm travel rear and spec whippy flexy wheels with little thin spokes on it. Strange. Probably an attempt to make it weigh a little less.

I had to replace those wheels immediately. Sold the rear complete since I had a good rear wheel already and dismantled the front to have a good wheel built on the front hub. I couldn't imagine those things lasting through a whole season, and even if they did the flex was annoyingly distracting.

Good deal that you got the big red S to replace them. Good luck with the new ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.