Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

KM Size Question

761 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Turtle01 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to pick up a KM frame in the near future, however, I'm unsure what size will fit me best. I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" and I'm thinking that a 16" is going to fit better than an 18", though this might not be the case. I'm hoping someone else near my height who rides a KM will have some input so I don't end up with the horrors of having the wrong size frame.

Cheers!

(this is only really an issue because my local Surly dealer doesn't actually have any Surly bikes in house, so I can't go and demo one myself :madman:)

#2 ·
You want to go with effective top tube length and stand over height. look up the specs of you current ride (if it fits) and use that to get in the ball park. lots of advice out there on this subject. I ride a large Amthem 0 and a large KM, the effective top tube length on both is pretty close, within a half inch, but the ride is different. The Anthem feels bigger than the KM but that has to do with geometry how I have each bike set up, so it's really gonna depend on lots of variables. I know it's not much help but there it is. Good luck monkey hunting.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input.
I found another thread on this topic and some guys who are quite a few inches taller than me ride the 18", so maybe the smaller frame might be for the best.
Hopefully another short guy like me will pop on and give me a definitive answer.
I rode an a small Air 9 not too long ago and thought the geometry fit me perfectly, but of course the KM is a bit different, so I'm hesitant to just hop on the small train.

#4 ·
I ride a 16" (small) Surly Troll that has a 22.5" ETT. The small Monkey has a 22.7" ETT. I wouldn't dream of going to a bigger size in the Troll or the Monkey. I'm 5'6" with a 29" pants inseam. I actually fit a 22" ETT better so I'm running a 70mm stem.

Hope that gives some perspective from another not so tall individual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.