Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Adding a disc mount to an old steel frame, what are the risks?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rafab 
#1 ·
I was wondering about this, and after some searchs in the forum I found out that is possible to weld a disc mount to a cro-mo frame. However, what are the risks of doing so?

Also, is it possible to trim the v-brake nipples?

Would these two modifications compromise the frame integrity?

Thanks!

#2 ·
It is quite possible to add disc tabs, so long as a brace between the chainstay and seatstay is also added. You can trim the v-brake studs off with hacksaw, file and sandpaper with no worries about structural integrity (as long as you're careful).
But - if we're talking about a vintage frame - do you really need discs in the rear? Added expense, plus you're permanently altering the frame. Good V-brakes like Avids have tons of stopping power in their own right.

#3 ·
mhickey79 said:
It is quite possible to add disc tabs, so long as a brace between the chainstay and seatstay is also added. You can trim the v-brake studs off with hacksaw, file and sandpaper with no worries about structural integrity (as long as you're careful).
But - if we're talking about a vintage frame - do you really need discs in the rear? Added expense, plus you're permanently altering the frame. Good V-brakes like Avids have tons of stopping power in their own right.
Thanks for your answer.

To be honest, it was more a curiosity question than anything else. Is not like I need it, just was wondering about that :D

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.