Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 SX Trail I & II differences?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  meSSican 
#1 ·
I have decided on getting a '11 SX trail but unsure which one. After comparing both, I dont see the value $ wise in the price. Aside from the upgraded shocks, brakes and shifters i dont see any big ticket items that would warrant the II being $1500 more. At most i added it all up and i came up with about $4300 with the upgraded items that i could see. Am i missing anything? Should i just buy the I and put fox vanilla fork and dhx rear shock? Thanks all!

SX II
http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52841&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

SX I
http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52842&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

#2 ·
As long as you upgrade your fork and rear shock you should be fine as the suspension that comes on the 1 is horrible in comparison. $1500 is around what it is going to cost you to just get that fork and rear shock. If you can sell the stock stuff for a good price than it might be worth it, but you would need to make up some good money to make it worth it. Things like upgraded spokes and seatposts too seem minor, but they give you pretty good weight savings if you care about that. I personally would get the 2 as you will get a much better bike from the start and you aren't going to save yourself much money, but you will create a huge hastle for yourself.

That said, you really can't go wrong either way. I've been riding my 2011 for awhile now and it is sick, a HUGE step up from the last one.

#3 ·
I totally agree with you, i just did not see the value dollar wise between the two. I am very new to the DH/FR game so i have limited knowledge of the bikes but researched the two and added up the $ difference of parts and subtracted possible sale price of the fork and shock after buying the Fox upgrades. It just sucks that i cant see or ride either bike since no one in the Sacramento are carries either let alone comparable models from other brands.

PS how do you fair on DH runs on your '11 SX? I will be taking it to Northstar occasionally and i think that it would be a great bike for some DH parks.

#4 · (Edited)
2010 SX Trail Two Frame

I built and ride a 2010 SX Trail Two. This will handle anything you can throw at it. You can even use it for your Sunday best bicycle commute. I run this bike in the French Alps doing more than 5,905 vertical feet of extremely fast and technical descent in one run. I also do around 13,779 vertical feet up to 20,000 vertical feet of descent in one day. Keep in mind that Mt. Everest it 29,029 feet high. The SX is super playful and is said to be for experimented riders. It has been said that the SX trail is the world's best do-it-all bike and I concur. In the same vein as the previous sentence, remember that a double triple means no X-ups or the like.

Let us be clear that the Fox RC4 is quite different than the DHX 5 and even more so than the DHX 4.

RC4= larger piston shaft= better oil flow, low / high speed compression, boost valve in comparison to the DHX 4 and the RC4 has a larger boost valve in comparison to the DHX 5. Not forgetting the Fox 180 mm. fork which is like a Bugatti Veyron whereas, the domain is just a looks like and smells like a fork but just doesn't taste like one. Read up on your dirt before buying it.

I hope this wets your appetite.

Go on stop your dithering. Buy it. You know you want the SX Two. Don't be a masochist until you start riding it.

Au revoir,

#6 ·
i am sold on the SX but not sure which yet. I possibly could be getting a good price brake on the Fox fork and shock so that is the reason for wanting to get the SX I and swapping out the fork and shock for the Fox ones. It all depends on what my deal will be as to which i buy. I cannot wait to get it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.