Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How much power do I want.

835 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cascades 
#1 ·
Been running the Hayes Stroker trail for two years and I'm now ready to switch to a trouble free disc brake system. I'm quite light at 140lbs and I'm ridingtrail-freeride-light dh on my 2008 Reign x. I want something more powerful and finicky than the strokers but just can't figure what I need. I have been considering the Hope M4, shimano's XT or Saint. Cost is a limitation and I'm planning on keeping my actual rotors (two sets of hayes 7" and 6" rotors on a two different wheelset).

The strokers are my first disc brake and I really need some advice in order to aim right.

#3 ·
I'm on the east cost, up here in Qc. So our runs are clearly not as long as what you would get in Whistler. I'm in bromont every weekend and ride everything there. Our trails are far from being flowy. They are very technical, packed with roots and big rocks. The thing is that I'm getting faster so I need a brake system that deliver the power and the modulation when needed.

#4 ·
nightnerd said:
I'm on the east cost, up here in Qc. So our runs are clearly not as long as what you would get in Whistler. I'm in bromont every weekend and ride everything there. Our trails are far from being flowy. They are very technical, packed with roots and big rocks. The thing is that I'm getting faster so I need a brake system that deliver the power and the modulation when needed.
So go for max power...

Saints

Formula

or go bigger rotor with XTR.

Nothing wrong with a 203 rotor.

#6 ·
If you want troublefree, I'd recommend Hope M4. It's the most trouble free brakesystem I've experienced to date. Besides that I really like my M4s. It is maybe not as powerful as a The One, but what you really want on technical trails is superb modulation with enough power and M4 delivers modulation in spades. M4s probably work ok with your Hayes rotors since they don't use a very wide brake track (I've got no practical experience with this combo however). Saints actually use almost the same brake pad format as the M4 if I'm not mistaken, but no experience with Saints here.

#7 ·
nightnerd said:
Been running the Hayes Stroker trail for two years and I'm now ready to switch to a trouble free disc brake system. I'm quite light at 140lbs and I'm ridingtrail-freeride-light dh on my 2008 Reign x. I want something more powerful and finicky than the strokers but just can't figure what I need. I have been considering the Hope M4, shimano's XT or Saint. Cost is a limitation and I'm planning on keeping my actual rotors (two sets of hayes 7" and 6" rotors on a two different wheelset).

The strokers are my first disc brake and I really need some advice in order to aim right.
My '07 Reign X1 came with Juicy 5s and185/160 rotors. I installed an 8" front rotor (kept the rear 6"), and used that setup for 3 years, doing quite a few resort trips (BC, long and steep runs) and they never felt underpowered or gave me any problems (I'm slightly heavier than you at 150lb) My point is, just by upgrading rotor sizes (new 8" rotors for the front and move the 7" rotors to the rear), you will gain a fair bit of power with the current brakes, but, if your brakes aren't reliable, then it makes sense to get something else.

How are the Strokers troublesome? If you check the reviews, people have problems with all makes and models of brakes, so even if you buy the "best" brakes available, there is a chance you might have a problem with them too.

#8 ·
First of all, thanks guys for your input. They are all good advice. fs, going for bigger rotor is an option I have been considering also. But since, I have two sets of wheels, I estimate the cost of the switch to over a 100$. i might aswell just spend more$ to get a whole new and more reliable system.

As for the Hayes, I have had the known problem with them: sticky piston, rotor rubbing, and caliper that need very frequent re-alignment. As for the power, I have bled them at the beginning of the season, I have changed the pads and cleaning the rotor very toroughly.

Cascade, the M4 are definitely on my list. The reviews seem good and they look awesome.

So, no opinion about the Xt's?

#9 ·
I had XTs delivered on my newest bike, rode a couple of times with them, but compared to M4s they are no match in my opinion. Thus I mounted my 'old' M4s on my new bike. I especially like the lever feel of the Hopes better, they have a much harder brakepoint (the XTs feel mushy in comparisson). By the way I ride the M4s with the XT discs because I didn't find any CL adapters at the time that fitted the Hope floating discs; since I like the function with the XT discs I just ride that. My wife has the previous version XT and they are ok, but require more maintenance with stuck pistons than my M4s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.