Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Emily Batty thread

151K views 268 replies 87 participants last post by  chomxxo 
#1 ·
There had to be one eventually.

She's just 22 years old, but is certainly getting lots of press, and she might be the favourite video interview for Colt at Cyclingdirt.org. It looks like she has quite a promising future as a mountain bike racer. She's certainly taken over as the most photographed smile in mountain bike racing from Marie-Helene Premont, which is interesting as she lists Premont as one of her MTB racing heroes, along with other top Canadian riders such as Catharine Pendrel and Chrissy Redden.

This month she's on the cover of Singletrack magazine (UK), no article just a masthead comment on the cover photo Emily Batty - Oh yes

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

But there is a very good writeup on Emily in the new Canadian Cycling Magazine

Leg Human body Human leg Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#110 · (Edited)
Met Emily at the Canada cup last week. Shes an amazing person. She was busy doing somthing in the trailer and she heard my daughter ask " where is Emily ". With in seconds she was outside stepped under he canopy and came right outto hang out with my girl.

I have to say I have never met such an unselfish "famous" person. She had a real conversation with her. Introduced her self and shook our hands (wife and me). Posed for a pic and we let her get back to what she was doing.

My daughter saw here again when she arrived, the next day, got a big hug and smile.

Upon winning her race, my daughter was at the finish line to give her a winning hug.

It was awsome watching her ride. For the first 3 laps I was worried as she trailed in 2nd. But silly me. By next lap she had over a min lead, and it stretched from there on out.

What was cool was after she crossed the finish line it looked as if she rode 5 miles. Didnt even seem out of breath.

Shes a super down to earth girl. We would be very proud to have her represent our country.

#115 ·
Use some bait!

A good way of getting close to a celebrity is to use a bait. At last weekend's canadian championships, we chose to bring the dog to get access to Emily. Who could resist a tiny 3 pound chihuahua after all? Turns out Emily loves dogs, we had a hard time getting him back. Here is a pic of Emily with my wife and our very lucky dog, appropriately named Lucky!!!

I hope everybody get's that I'm joking. Emily as got to be one of the most accessible professional athlete out there.

Attachments

#4 ·
Here's the link to Emily's website

http://www.emilybatty.com/

She's getting results to back up the buzz

2009 Results:

11th- U-23 MTB World Championships, Canberra
1st- U23, Canadian MTB Championships, St. Felicien
1st- Under 23 MTB Pan American games
-------------------------------------------------------
1st- U-23, 10th Elite- World Cup XC #2, Offenburg
1st- U-23, 13th Elite- World Cup XC #3, Houffalize
2nd- U-23, Elite -World Cup XC #5, Mont-Saint-Anne
1st- U-23, Elite - World Cup XC #6, Bromont
4th- U-23, World Cup XC #7,Champéry
5th- U-23 World Cup XC #8, Schladming
--------------------------------------------------------
2nd, 2009 Overall Under 23 MTB World Cup XC
1st- Canada Cup #5, Canmore
1st- Canada Cup #4, Edmonton
1st- Canada Cup #3, Hardwood Hills
1st- Canada Cup #2, Mont Tremblant
1st- Canada Cup #1, Baie Saint Paul
---------------------------------------------------------
1st- Ontario Cup XC #5 in Buckwallow
1st- Ontario Cup XC #4 in London
1st- Ontario Cup XC #3 in Boler Mountain
1st- Ontario Cup XC #2 in Albion Hills
1st- Elite- Squeezer, St. Catherines
1st- Elite Short Track, Sea Otter
11th- Elite women XC, Sea Otter
4th- US Elite XC #1, Fontana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.