Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MCR vs SIR

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  arashi 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting another Niner (I love my RIP9!!!), a steel HT, but I can't figure out what's the difference between the two besides the SIR being able to be used as a singlespeed. Is that the only difference???

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
yes the SIR is one most versatile bike frames available it is set up so can can go gears or no gears.... this is due to the bottom bracket set up I have a SIR and run it single speed but its great to know I can run it with gears if I want that frame but need gears for that particular trail.......if you are sure you want to run gears only get the MCR then you wont have to fuss with the set up of the bottom bracket ...either way unbelievable great ride and feel on the trail

#4 ·
Someone recently said here or maybe in the 29er forum that MCR is lighter than SIR. Not sure how much, though.

By the way, Arashi, I guess you're riding regularly on Wednesday evenings in Penasquitos Canyon. I'm also riding there every Wednesday for the last 10 years. If you see one or two gold Sir9s in the Canyonside Park parking lot, I am the one with geared.

#6 ·
need4gforce said:
I would think the MCR would have to be a smidge lighter with no ebb and a smaller bb shell.. You can always run a chain tensioner on the back for single speed.... I miss my SIR9 so bad I am having withdraws... I think I need rehab!
this is what I am doing with my MCR right now... working great ss with a tensioner... Ended up with the MCR over the SIR due to availibility issues and worries of having a creaky eccentric bb...

#7 ·
tribug said:
Someone recently said here or maybe in the 29er forum that MCR is lighter than SIR. Not sure how much, though.

By the way, Arashi, I guess you're riding regularly on Wednesday evenings in Penasquitos Canyon. I'm also riding there every Wednesday for the last 10 years. If you see one or two gold Sir9s in the Canyonside Park parking lot, I am the one with geared.
Wow very observant! You are correct about that! Small black RIP9. I think I've seen one or both of you a few times. If you're not in a rush the next time we are there at the same time you could show me your SIR9. That would be awesome! :thumbsup:

Part of me is curious about going SS but I'm already struggling with a geared bike so I don't know if trying SS is even a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.