Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Loose-ish Hope Integral headset cups on 429

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ozzybmx 
#1 · (Edited)
G'day folks , im the owner of a new 429 Pivot frame and im in the process of collecting bits and building it .

Ive got a question on the headset , while fitting the headset which is a Hope Integral headset , the top cup did not need to be pressed in , it needed to be really straight but i tapped it in with the handle of a screwdriver , thinking this might have been the tolerance out on the Hope headset , i removed it again and tried the bottom hope cup with the same result , then the top hope cup on the bottom which was again tight . Meaning that the frame is very slightly bigger on the top side of the headtube .

Now it still needed tapped in gently and tapped out , but when its fitted flush and level , it can be turned in the frame by hand , still a good twist is needed to budge it though .

My first thought was new headset , now im thinking thread locker ? As the headset is not loose as such , its just a really good fit .... ideally being a tight fit obviously :D
I am going to grab a set of Verniers in work and measure the 4 surfaces , both frame openings and then the headset diameters.

I did a google search and on here and found a few topics on similar situations , some of them have had the top cup falling out and epoxy resin'd them in , others have used thread locker.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=518572&highlight=cups+headset

Has anyone else had a problem with their headsets ?

BTW: Pics to come on the "post your pivots" when its done.

See less See more
#4 ·
I would say do not ride your bike with a headset that fits in like that. Find out which part isn't made to spec. From what I've read, it's likely the Hope - seems like there is always a headset or hub post about stuff that's just slightly off.

#6 ·
gticlay said:
I would say do not ride your bike with a headset that fits in like that. Find out which part isn't made to spec. From what I've read, it's likely the Hope - seems like there is always a headset or hub post about stuff that's just slightly off.
Im going to get them measured tomorrow , if the headset is out i'll be replacing it definately .

#8 ·
Not so good news !

The Hope integral headset is 44.08mm diameter

The top headtube measured in 6 positions -

Will be contacting the place i bought it from and have emailled Pivot. Not a good start by the looks of it :skep:

#9 ·
I looked at the specs for the cane creek 110, since it is known to be an industry standard. Your measurement of the hope headset seems to be spot on with the tolerances for the cane creek 110 - 44.08 +/-.02. According to the same spec sheet the headtube on your frame may be a little on the large side - they say 44.00 is ideal.

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/110/110_ZS_Instructions.pdf

#10 ·
92gli said:
I looked at the specs for the cane creek 110, since it is known to be an industry standard. Your measurement of the hope headset seems to be spot on with the tolerances for the cane creek 110 - 44.08 +/-.02. According to the same spec sheet the headtube on your frame may be a little on the large side - they say 44.00 is ideal.

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/110/110_ZS_Instructions.pdf
Actually that headtube drawing says that 44.00 is the largest the headtube can be with a minimum of 43.95. Another way to write it would be 43.975 +/- .025.

#12 ·
The bottom cup of my Cane Creek ZS-1 is loose like that. I had a creek so I did a clean and re-lube of the headset when I noticed it. I used some sleeve retaining fluid (green loctite) on the lower cup and put it all back together. Seems fine. I would think it would be fine as long as you keep the whole thing tight. I do have a King headset ordered. I'll take some measurements when I get everything a part.

#13 ·
You can also peen the cup. Use a punch. Use an old handlebar to act as a dowl and lock it in a vice. Slide the cup onto the bar. Then make 6-8 eavenly as possible around the cup where it inserts into the frame, about half the distance from where the bearing sits and the end of the cup. Then use a little green loc-tite and press it all together.

This is a means to an end, if Pivot doesn't send you another frame.

#14 ·
Well, since we are sharing headset fit stories... another option is to take an aluminum can and cut a few slices of it as a shim. I forget exactly why, but 1" road bike steers used to have 2 standards and one of them you had to do the pop can trick on or it would be loose. Maybe it was a french steer with an italian race... :lol: I forget.

#15 ·
If Pivot gets back to me and confirms in Black and White the headtube is out of spec , i cant see problems in getting a new frame sent from the importer .... waiting on PIVOT though , been 2 days since i emailed them with no reply yet.

#16 ·
Hey just tried to call them too :) Im getting through but where are they located in the US ?

Im seeing the time difference is why i didnt get through . Its 0730am in the eastern side , and 0330 in the west ..... its 2100 here in oz . Meaning if they are eastern its good , west its a tomorrow morning call :thumbsup:

#17 ·
ozzybmx said:
Hey just tried to call them too :) Im getting through but where are they located in the US ?

Im seeing the time difference is why i didnt get through . Its 0730am in the eastern side , and 0330 in the west ..... its 2100 here in oz . Meaning if they are eastern its good , west its a tomorrow morning call :thumbsup:
They are located in Arizona (lower Southwest)

#18 ·
Thanks cphil , its 23:20 here now , so 06:50 there , might grab another beer or 2 and stay up .... im pretty keen hear the verdict on the headtube specs .... not that i need my arm twisted as im off tomorrow :)

#20 ·
What a response from Pivot :D :D :D

My frame is being picked up by courier and shipped back to the distributor for inspection, i have no doubt the headtube is out of spec , so they said they are sending a new frame once its been confirmed !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.