Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I upgrade or ditch my stock Sugar 2?

798 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  beeglemania 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes, another fix it or ditch it thread.. I searched the forums for Sugars but haven't found much.

I have a 2001 Sugar 2, full suspension. It gets the job done in normal conditions. All of components were nice at one point, but are severely outdated now. I wanna make the jump to a 29er FS, b/c I just don't see myself going back to a hard tail after riding an FS for so many years. However my budget is around $2,000 and from what I understand I need to spend more then that to get a 29er FS that would not weigh more then my 26er Sugar 2.

Do you guys think I could find a decent 29er FS for 2k, or should I just keep the Sugar and start replacing components? The frame is in good shape, I just don't have some of the cool features that other people have.. disks, lockout fork and rear suspension, etc.

Here's what I got:
ZR9000 double butted aluminum Genesis Geometry | b*link swingarm w/ carbon fiber stays
Manitou Mars Elite 80 mm in the front (loses air after every ride), and Cane Creek AD-12 in the rear. No lockouts.
Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL, Shimano XTR SGS rear derailleur, Deore XT shifters
Avid Single Digit-5 direct pull brakes (ugh..)
Bontrager Race splined crank
Bontrager Race Hubs and Bontrager Race Tubeless Wheels

Thanks,
-Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd get a new bike, and keep the sugar as a backup.

Your suspension and parts are fairly antiquated (no offense), and the new bikes just ride that much better.

I picked up a 2009 Top Fuel SSL 9.9 last year, and I was surprised how much better the suspension worked compared to my 2007! A good suspension design with platform will climb better than your CC AD-12, so you may not even notice the extra weight!

#3 ·
macming said:
I'd get a new bike, and keep the sugar as a backup.

Your suspension and parts are fairly antiquated (no offense), and the new bikes just ride that much better.

I picked up a 2009 Top Fuel SSL 9.9 last year, and I was surprised how much better the suspension worked compared to my 2007! A good suspension design with platform will climb better than your CC AD-12, so you may not even notice the extra weight!
This is correct.

#4 ·
I have a 2000 model Sugar2 which the wife rides now. Try and do a demo ride on a chromoly hard tail 29er. I rind a Niner S.I.R. 9 now and think its just as smooth as my old Sugar. The steel, bigger wheels and large volume tires really smooth things out. You'll get a much nicer and lighter bike for your money if you don't go FS. I know those Sugars are light and to match that weight with a FS 29er will be way over your 2k budget.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered a brand new Salsa Dos Niner. Should be here in 2 weeks, can't wait. 1 inch rear travel, climbs like a HT, great price.

I will most likely keep the sugar and use it as a second bike... maybe make it more of a a "cruiser" bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.