Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro OR 2010 Stump FSR Expert?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SJDude 
#1 ·
At my LBS they have a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR pro in size M that has been there for the last two years. they just marked it down to $2999 (it was $4600 back in 08) I am 5'11 1/2" and my inseam is about 31-32" do you think this bike is two small for me? I seem to fit on it good. I am not the bigist fan of the color (army green with brown/tan stripes) but I can live with it. now I could just buy a new 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert for the same price of $2999. have there been any improvements made to the stumpjumper's in the last two years that I shood know about and what is the real difforences between the 10 Expert and the 08 pro? now I don't have the money to buy this bike outright and the LBS is the to keen on the idea of having it on layaway for the next few mouths because it is such an old bike.
what do you think I shood do?

#2 ·
so it looks like the things that are better on the 08 pro are:
HANDLEBARS pecialized OS XC low rise carbon ba
SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-0, carbon/aluminum
SEAT POST Thomson straight
dont know about the rims?
DT Swiss XR 4.2D, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
things that are better on the 10 Expert
FORK Fox Talas RL, 140/120/100mm travel, alloy steerer, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO
the Rims are: Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h

dont know if I missed anything. it dos not seem like the pro is much better of a deal to me. I dont know how much lighter it is but it could not be by much?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45838&eid=4950&menuItemId=9248

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33432&menuItemId=0&gold_ses=

#5 ·
Have you ridden a large? @ 5' 11 1/2" I would put you on a Large. unless you aren't as tall as you think you are ;)

After that it all depends on how you feel on a large vs. medium. comfort is key. pick the size you feel most comfortable on.

Between the two its a tough call. depends on your riding style. Where do you ride, how do you ride?

Also specialized puts you on a large as well
2010 Specialized Bike Fit

#6 ·
I think I am a L also. I have not got to ride the bike yet (just sat on it in the store) I think my rockhoper is a 19 witch would make it a L also. I think I am going to save up for the next few moths and get the 2010 Expert (I like the color better anyway, and it will mach my matt black rockhoper.) the bike store did not want me to put such an old bike on layaway for that long anyway because if I bailed like 5 mounths from now they would be stuck with an even older bike than they have now!
the kind of riding I do is long distance cross country (10-20 miles or so) on long island ny (no mountains, just lots of small hills) I dont race or anything (all thow I may some day) I like to cover lots of ground, see how far I can go in 1 or 2 hours.

#7 ·
so I went down to the LBS to day and orderd a 2010 sj fsr Expert for the spring. it is going to take me all winter to pay it off anyway. its going to be a long ass winter :madman:
thanks for all the help every one.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
That 08 bike is a pretty tough deal to pass up on. Believe me I know, I bought one on a smokin deal this spring.

IMO the 08 bike has higher level parts than the 10 Expert. The Talas is a sweet fork but the future shock is a better one. The talas retails for around $1100 CDN whereas the future shock is $1850 and has a carbon crown and steer and weighs 1540 grams or 3.4 lbs. It'll be interesting to see the weight difference, my 08 Med was 25.5 lbs out of the box. The 08/09 expert was 27#.

As for the fit:

I'm 5 11 and 3/4 with a 32 inch inseam and there's no question in my mind I fit the medium. I could get away with the large if I had to, but it has enough less stand over height that I'd be worried about sacking myself. Plus it's heavier and has a longer wheel base so it won't be as manoeuvrable. I fit in the cockpit easily on the med, but sales people always try to tell me I need a large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.