Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

help with buying a used bike

606 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  older guy 
#1 ·
im new to mountain bike riding, looking to buy a used bike, pictures attached, pretty much i want to know if this a good deal or not, seller wants $650, says put alot more into it. 17' framed cannondale, tell me what you think. thanks alot

descrip.....Hardtail MTB w/front Marzzochi MX COMP Shock. All quality components (Chris King Headset, XT/LX components, Truvativ Stylo crankset, Sun Rhinolyte rims w/Panaracer FireXC Pro's mounted, Sella Italia Radia saddle, Cane Creek Direct Drive brakes, Disc-ready XT hubs...)

#3 ·
It was probably used as a XC race bike maybe 10 years ago. Its dated now. It more than likely has a 24 speed drive train instead of the more common 27. It has rim brakes and the rims maybe worn out. You could easily end up having to put a new fork and new wheels on the bike within a year and you still have a somewhat dated bike if it has 24 speeds. I have seen Specialized Stumpjumpers 2-3 years old with newer Fox Forks and 27 speed in the $700-$850 Range.

#4 ·
Cannondales have many models and those with conventional forks are on the bottom rung. It might be the frame is their entry level too. Forks although Marzocchi are entry level and don't have good reviews. XT on Sun Rhyno lites are $150 brand new. Rim bakes scratch rims so you might replace just what borregokid said. These are the major components in a bike and you might just be getting excited about nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.