Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Choice

690 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wahoofish 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

I need some advice on a new bike purchase. I'm 6'2" and 300lbs or so riding mainly for exercise. Most of my riding is on roads, but I do occasionally go on hard-packed dirt roads but few if any drops or rocks. At first I was dead set on a 09 Hardrock Sport Disc for $530, then I visited my lbs and they recommended a Redline D440 for $600. I like the idea of the 29er wheels, but it has a few drawbacks. The Redline is a Rigid, 1x8, with v brakes opposed to the hardrock's discs, 3x8 drivetrain, and suspension fork. For the type of riding I do the lbs thinks the Redline would be fine, but I'm not convinced. Another option is the hardrock sport disk 29er for $610.

Any advice or opinions on the two bikes would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Personally, I would go for the sprung discs if I had to choose between those bikes.

Disc brakes make a huge difference if it is wet, even on the road. I'll also say, as this happened to me, that if you start riding offroad even a little bit you might want to do more and then you'd wish you had bought a different bike.

I just bought a Gary Fisher X-cal (2008) and it is amazing the difference in quality between the mid-range and high low-range bikes. I am SO glad that I got this bike over some of the cheaper options and I know that i'llbe able to grow into the bike as time goes on. I am not made of money, so I knew that the bike I got now would most likely be with me for the next 5 years at least so I got the best one I could afford.

#3 ·
I ride a Rockhopper 29er and love it. I test rode a Hardrock 29er and really liked it as well. Even though they look different in the frame design they felt very much the same. The Hardrock is just an entry level bike and the Rockhopper is more of a mid level bike in the Specialized lineup. I would not doubt that the Hardrock would do what you need it to do and if you find yourself hitting the trails more and more it should take care of you there too. I will never go back to a small wheel bike again. I am the same size as you too, 6'2" 300 pounds.

#4 ·
+1 on the Hardrock 29er. I'm 6'2 and was 240 a couple years ago when I picked up a hybrid to start riding on the road and local rail trails. Once I took a single track off the main path, I quickly realized what I was missing out on, and now ride a 29" Rockhopper Disk (see my "Kool Aid" thread on my bike pick if you want) and rarely if ever ride on the road anymore.
I think the Redline is a very nice bike, but like The Professor said, once you start doing more dirt riding you may wish you had gone with suspension and disks.
I would also make sure that a 1x9 has enough range for you to climb (depending on your local terrain) I know I spend A LOT of time in my granny gear to get up the local hills.
You really can't go wrong either way since all the bikes you mentioned are good picks. Just think about how you will be riding a year from now when you shed some of those pounds :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Unfortunately, with cycles, it is imo often more economical to choose a well specified model in the first instance, rather than trying to upgrade or make it fit you afterwards. Have you ever tried to assemble a complete bike from scratch? Often its impossible to do so without spending significantly more than the manufacturer charges for an off the peg one. There are some exceptions, notably On-one , which enable you to assemble some terrific bikes at very fair prices. (I am not associated with the company). 26ers and 29ers, which, if I was you is the port of call.

I've recently bought a Cannondale Bad Boy 8 Ultra and can't praise it enough. It truly is an all-rounder with style, so often lacking. It was more than I wanted to spend but after looking into all options I went for it without so much as second thought. Glad I did. Very fast on tarmac and superb off road with 26" wheels. I'm 6ft3" and 95kg.

#7 ·
i have the redline d440 and like it

i have a redline d440 and think its a fun bike. The tank like steel frame with the eight speed drivetrain and rigid fork on 29er wheels make for a simple but solid rig. you can ride some rough stuff at speed with this bike and the limiting factor is usually about how much the rider can take versus how much the bike. the lack of a front derailleur keeps the bike quiet and shifting basic. and i love the low maintenance.

me: I started in 1990 with an aluminum fully-rigid bike and then progressed to front suspension and then to full suspension. I also ride a 5" travel bike with disk brakes and a 3x9 drivetrain on 26" wheels. i am 6'2" and 230 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.