Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CU Short Track Series

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bdoggie72 
#1 ·
Hey Front Range racers,

Thanks to everyone who came out to the first CU Short Track race of 2009! As usual there was a great turn out with some fast racing and great spectating. If you missed this first race fear not. This year we've expanded the series to a 13 race series spanning the entire summer!

For those of you still in the dark about the series, it's a short course mountain bike race series happening every Wednesday night right in the heart of Boulder on the University of Colorado's East Campus. The race is hosted by the CU Cycling Team and supports the team in their efforts. For anyone looking to get into racing, there is absolutely no better place to get your start. Lap times are usually only a few minutes in length and courses are suitable for any level of rider.

For more information please visit our website at www.cushorttrack.com or send an email to admin@cushorttrack.com.

Always Riding,

The University of Colorado Cycling Team

#3 ·
Your welcome Frankenbike, we're happy to host it and really glad the entire community is as enthusiastic about Short Track as we are. We always post results shortly after the end of a race on side of the Full Cycle truck. It takes some time to get it online, but we usually have it done by Friday night at http://www.cushorttrack.com/
Thanks for coming out, we'll see you Wednesday.

#4 ·
What gear were you running on your SS? 29 or 26in wheels? Curious what gear people run.

I was thinking it is about time to throw up while riding my bike so I may head out to one in the next couple weeks. I just have no idea what would be a good gear on a 29er out there. thanks

#5 ·
+1 on the gearing for a SS 29er. I've never raced before, but was thinking of showing up. I work nearby and was going to head over that at lunch to pedal around with a 32-16. If anybody has any recommendations, it would be appreciated.

Also, how are these races set up? Do you race a number of laps or is it by time? Sorry if this is a stupid question (again, never raced before). Thanks.

#6 ·
Let me know what you think of that gear. I was thinking a similar gear or one bigger would be a good starting point.
The short tracks are a timed format. You eat a lot of dust (unless you're really fast) but its a good way to push the legs and heart rate.

Maybe I'll see you out there soon!

#7 ·
Just did a couple of laps at Research Park with a 32-16 on a 29er. Not too bad, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone with zero racing experience............

I'm sticking with this, as I don't have any bigger/faster freewheels and I'd probably blow up on the first lap if I did.

Cheers.

#9 ·
NIce! good job man on the SS. I was thinking a 36:17 on the 29er. The smaller 26in rear wheel is probably better for short track but my 69er setup is in pieces in the basement right now.

This week may be a wash but might see you out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.