Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is my racer X a lemon??

861 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hitek79 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love this bike, period. I have had some issues over the first 16 months of its life. I am 5'8", 165 ibs, 180 max with gear. I ride a size small. No large drops or anything on this bike.

First, the rear seat stays became unglueed from the aluminum lugs. Titus fussed over this, but sent me a new upper assembly in no rush. I was without a bike for three weeks.

Second, my first front triangle had the shock mount that had an inset milled into it. It started to develop a stress crack through the relieved area. I had one of my brake hoses zip-tied (loosely) to the area to prevent frame rub. They told my LBS it had to be from the zip tie, but after pressing the issue, they sent me a new front triangle. Without a bike for 6 weeks.

Now, I get how from Syllamo's Revenge and find a crack in my drive-side chainstay originating out of the weep hole. IT is acout a 1/2 " long.

I don't know if I am just some super-human beast on a bicycle, but I don't think that I am strong enough to be breaking frame parts once ever 6 months or so. Also, I am getting near the end of my warranty period, and I have to wonder what is going to break next. Has anyone heard of a frae having this many problems? Is this typical?

See less See more
#2 ·
struckman@charter.net said:
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love this bike, period. I have had some issues over the first 16 months of its life. I am 5'8", 165 ibs, 180 max with gear. I ride a size small. No large drops or anything on this bike.

First, the rear seat stays became unglueed from the aluminum lugs. Titus fussed over this, but sent me a new upper assembly in no rush. I was without a bike for three weeks.

Second, my first front triangle had the shock mount that had an inset milled into it. It started to develop a stress crack through the relieved area. I had one of my brake hoses zip-tied (loosely) to the area to prevent frame rub. They told my LBS it had to be from the zip tie, but after pressing the issue, they sent me a new front triangle. Without a bike for 6 weeks.

Now, I get how from Syllamo's Revenge and find a crack in my drive-side chainstay originating out of the weep hole. IT is acout a 1/2 " long.

I don't know if I am just some super-human beast on a bicycle, but I don't think that I am strong enough to be breaking frame parts once ever 6 months or so. Also, I am getting near the end of my warranty period, and I have to wonder what is going to break next. Has anyone heard of a frae having this many problems? Is this typical?
Dude, that does sound like you got a lemon! You almost never here of people having problems with the Racer X.

#4 ·
I have had a couple problems as well but in 3 Seasons

I also had a Unglued seatstay on the carbon rear triangle, but mine was fixed before I knew there was a problem. I took it in for a tune-up, and the LBS noticed the seatstay was a problem, called Titus and replaced it with one they had in stock so I would not have to wait. I never even saw the broken one.

I also had my front triangle crack at the Head tube top tube junction. My Frame was actually out of the warranty period but Titus covered it. Again my LBS had the right part in stock and I was riding with very little downtime. Maybe 4 days as there was a weekend in there. I have had amazing service with Titus and would reccomend them to anyone. I just bought a second one.

I would consider where you are taking your bike for service. This is the only case I have ever heard of people having slow return times with Titus. Maybe you caught them when they were out of stock or something but I think its more likely a LBS problem.

I would not give up on the racer x if I were you. Titus's out of warranty support is better then most bike manufacturs in warranty support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.