Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hydro disc brakes?

751 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  frdfandc 
#1 ·
I have a trek fuel and believe it or not it has mechanical disc brakes which kind of suck. I was looking to upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes for about 100 bucks. I was looking at shimano deore m535 brakes. Are these good.:)

#2 ·
M535's are quite good in my opinion, got them on both bikes. If you weigh alot and are thrashing the bike around on long decents etc etc, then your best bet is to buy the brakes and 180mm discs, as the 160mm are a little underpowered and will probably beg for mercy on decents.

#5 ·
Garlock said:
hydro isn't the same as hydraulic btw
yes, please do.

To OP: one thing you may want to consider is if the switch to the m535 is worth the $100. I'm not sure what brakes are specced on your fuel, but I find that the biggest difference between entry level mechanical and entry level hydraulic disc brakes is feel; the mechanical disc brakes do just as good a job at braking. If you are not satisfied with the braking performance of your mechanicals, maybe you should consider spending a bit more to get a significant increase in braking performance as well as weight and feel. The new XT brakes for example are quite nice. Then again, if you are just looking to get that lovely hydraulic brake feel and dont want to spend too much, the m535's are probably one of the best choices out there.

ps. It could be that your only concern is that your brakes dont have enough power, in that case, just put a larger rotor on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.