Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Your spank bike

20K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  JGill 
#1 ·
Show off your spank bikes! iddning pics, build pics what ever!! Just show!!! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
JGill said:
I'm the only one that seems to ride a 26" in my town and we don't have any jumps so riding shots are out but I made some changes to my set-up and will get some shots of it this afternoon.

Where is yours???
RIGHT HERE!!! hahaha jk
Im waiting the arrival of new parts so when they get here ill send a pic of my fully and hard tail all spank out and contest ready for the season!!!

#6 ·
So what is the deal with Spank frames? I mean no disrespect, so please don't take offense. Are they or are they not just a mimic of a Black Market Riot geometry that has a different headtube, lasercut bridges and dropouts? I have heard here and there that the company that was making the Riot overseas simply created the Spank frame and decided to offer wild colors and sell for a different price.

I am pleading ignorance. I am just curious as to the connection between Spank Tweet Tweet frames and BlkMrkt Riot frames. What is the dealy-o?

#8 · (Edited)
Every time a Spank thread comes up why is it that the Blk Mrkt police seem to show up and shut it down? The geometry similarites and what not seem to cause issues with people.... Can one patent measurements of a frame? I've only been on a dj/urbaning type of bicycle for a little over a year and we have NO scene here so even the bike shops refer to my bike as "that crazy bike" and turns out that I actually had to explain to them what a pivotal seatpost was. Everything is road and high end short travel xc bikes around here so I too am a little ignorant when it comes to prefering one brand to another and little differences in geometry...

I'm sure it is a "rip-off"... maybe it is, maybe it's not. Whatever, they're reasonably light, the colors are different from most, and none of the cool kids have them yet. I'm not super fond of the way the decals are sprayed over though. The edges of the decals where they were cut show through. Other than that, I love the dropouts which no one else seems to like and I love the the bridges with the stars. I'm super impressed with it and being just over $300 for something different than the majority, Spank gets the thumbs up from me...

#9 ·
First off I am not the BlkMrkt police (even if A-Grove begs to differ :) ). I am just asking what the deal was. I had heard that the frame maker ventured out and used the Riot geometry as a baseline. That is fine with me. I was just wondering if/what the connection is for real, no e-speculation.

Measurements are one thing, but the same exact chainstay and seat stays are another thing. I really like the spank frames. I have no beef with look-alikes or copies at all. I was just wondering from a curiosity point of view. I pleaded ignorance in my first post. Ignorance = un-informed which I am and is why I am asking.

Also what are the specs on Spanks? I see 100% CrMo in all threads and info on their website, but what is that? Straight guage? Butted? Butted top tube only? Again just curious. For the price, I don't think they are butted like the Riot, but I could be wrong. Again just curious.

JGill - For the record yours is the best looking one I have seen so far. The polished is awesome. And matching spokes are the sh!t. Love it.

#10 ·
JGILL, nice bike:thumbsup: Awesome build you put together. What is the story with bandanas on DJ bikes? Seriously, I don't know. Is it something like hipsters buying ulocks and shoving it in the back of their retardedly tight jeans? What purpose does it serve? Is it cosmetic? I am asking sincerely, not being a smartass. Although, I do think all hipsters can get bent.

#11 · (Edited)
When I was little my stepdad always had a bandana in his pocket for a handkercheif and they have always kind of stuck with me since. (He is also the one that got me into riding and racing bikes) I run in them, ride in them (under my helmet even), and work in them often so I always have one around. The cable hits the front part of the down tube and makes an obnoxious tinging sound that gets old quick. I picked one up on my way out the door and decided to tie the cable down a little ahead of the guide with it and the ting has ceased.

Oh, and the keys on the carabiner come from my skating days from all the hip pointers I'd take from a crash on my keys. Getting the keys out of your pockets was ideal. My keys used to be on a small chain but alot of places around here don't allow chains on wallets. I guess the bible belt I have to live in for the time being believes that Jesus said chain wallets are unacceptable... Plus I already had a carabiner on my key chain so why not. I saw some construction dude years ago that had his keys on one and I couldn't believe I never thought of it myself, and having some old climbing gear I thought what a great idea... The super short and super skintight jeans actually hinder your movement, so I'm not too sure what the point of that is except 15 year olds don't do their own laundry yet so they grab their sisters pants on the way out before they put their Nike 6.0's on, I guess...

...If you really must know why I choose to do 2 of the 3 things you mentioned...

#13 ·
The "get bent" comment is for "hipsters", something not having to do with you.

UrbanDictionary.com; 1. get bent
Much more subtle than **** you or go to hell, but with all the impact.

Hipster derelicts just really rub me the wrong way.

I see what you're saying about the cable tinging on the frame, never thought of that, good idea:thumbsup:

#14 ·
gop427 said:
The "get bent" comment is for "hipsters", something not having to do with you.

UrbanDictionary.com; 1. get bent
Much more subtle than **** you or go to hell, but with all the impact.

Hipster derelicts just really rub me the wrong way.

I see what you're saying about the cable tinging on the frame, never thought of that, good idea:thumbsup:
No worries...

I just never knew what it meant haha.

#16 ·
Demo-9 said:
So what is the deal with Spank frames? I mean no disrespect, so please don't take offense. Are they or are they not just a mimic of a Black Market Riot geometry that has a different headtube, lasercut bridges and dropouts? I have heard here and there that the company that was making the Riot overseas simply created the Spank frame and decided to offer wild colors and sell for a different price.

I am pleading ignorance. I am just curious as to the connection between Spank Tweet Tweet frames and BlkMrkt Riot frames. What is the dealy-o?
The owner of spank is also part of black market and owns a part of atom lab desighned hayes brakes founded funn and ect... ect... ect... the tweet tweet is the basics of the riot with more technolagy on the inside...

#18 ·
Spank USA said:
The owner of spank is also part of black market and owns a part of atom lab desighned hayes brakes founded funn and ect... ect... ect... the tweet tweet is the basics of the riot with more technolagy on the inside...
Please describe this technology on the inside. I am not here to agrue or disrespect, but you need to explain that a bit. So what are the added benefits of a Tweet over a Riot. It costs less so I have to assume something is different. Is it the same CrMo tubing (as in butted) or something less expensive?? Something different? Simply more frames made at the same factory and yeilding a lower price?? Come on give the goods.:)

#19 ·
moshelove said:
I hope there are no hipster derelicts reading this thread!! dear god!

I like spank bikes.
Nah, there's no fixed-gear material in here. Although I see 24" cruisers being the next thing.... colored skyway mags and cheaper bmx parts just seem to be more economical.

nice build, I'm still deciding if I want a P45 (or any 110 spaced 26" frame) , or a Sunday! Model-C for my needs. I intend to run plegs as well. I've got a 08 General Lee and I'm liking the steep HA's that bmx geometry offers, but I like the bigger wheels of a 24 or 26".

#20 ·
So basically the company that manufactured the Riot frames in Taiwan for BlkMrkt decided to remake them and change a few pieces like headube, dropouts and bridges then paint them in different colors and offer them for a bit less money. Did I miss anything?

Again I am not saying anything negative. Nothing wrong with what they did. But to say that they have "better technology on the inside"and not follow up with any details is misleading. Tell me something that I don't know that makes them better? Anything? I can't even find a valid website for Spank that shows the Tweet frame or any specifications.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, officer Black Market (totally kidding man), it's pretty weird I know......Diggin the sh!t out of my frame and stem but I do find it strange that there is no updated info from the company itself. They can't be that small because of the amount of parts and frames they produce... I don't get it. With such sweet frames and parts I would be posting it up everywhere if it were my company. It's all pretty odd...

#24 ·
They're a fairly popular brand in Europe and they've been around for a while. Their parts get fairly good reviews in MBUK and other Euro magazines. I myself have been on their Subrosa rims for more than a year now with lots of bad landings and they're still going strong. It is a little weird that they don't bother updating their website, though.

#25 ·
Nah. It's all good. I really like the Spank frame. I am just one to know everything I can about something. Frame material, country of origin, welding quality, etc. I mean they should have some info on their stuff. You have to go to a frame retailer/distributor to get any information on frame specifications. As long as the bike rides nice then that is all that really matters.

#26 ·
Demo-9 said:
Nah. It's all good. I really like the Spank frame. I am just one to know everything I can about something. Frame material, country of origin, welding quality, etc. I mean they should have some info on their stuff. You have to go to a frame retailer/distributor to get any information on frame specifications. As long as the bike rides nice then that is all that really matters.
Even my lbs' couldn't find much info on them. I had a to ask The Agency silly questions about the frame before I would get one... One site listed the dropouts as 14mm and another 10mm. I saw that one said 150mm spacing, and another 135mm. I couldn't find much on what bb and headset it took. I just guessed by the look of the super small pictures that it was Euro/integrated... Maybe Spank has an up to date catalog but haven't updated their site yet.

But yeah it rides pretty damn nice. Buddy of mine just built up a rigid Riot and he will be in town and I will check that out and compare the two...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.