Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another brake thread! coming from juicys...

770 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  redmr2_man 
#1 ·
Here's the deal, my juicy 5's have had warble from day one, nothing I do solves it. Front piston is stuck, and I'm just getting tired of loud brakes...

They're under warranty, but the downtime would kill me as I'm on xmas holiday from college and want to get tons of riding in [I'm sure you all can relate :thumbsup: ]. So keep in mind I can sell my bnib juicy5's for what, 100max, but probably 75?

I'm planning on ordering new brakes, but I really don't want to break the bank. I loved the juicys stopping power with stock pads and 8in front rotors and 6in rears. It was enough to do the job well, but the noise issues and failures were killing my rides!

I'm currently looking at the xt's with the servowave? technology. Having the pads sit farther from the rotor sounds extremely enticing since there'd be less chace or rotor/pad rub. Elixir Cr's are on my list as well, but I've read stuff on the warble starting to present itself there as well, so they're at the bottom. Lastly we have the hayes stroker and the formula k24's. Both great brakes, but both kinda pricey.

So far I've found the XT the be the least expensive of the bunch, but surely point me in the direction of the better deals. I'd really like to keep the purchase to under 250, but I don't think that's going to happen. How do these stack up to juicy5's? Would a formula brake, although I've heard better modulation, be something to look at in my price range?

I'm pretty much sold on the XT's I guess, thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
the lx were on major close out,I dont even want to tell what I paid for them last spring.I've have owned all mentioned above except the new hayes (which have very mixed reviews).We seem to have similar needs....I picked up a few sets of the new xt,and I'm very happy so far.
I think they are the safest buy,and best bang for you $$$ on the market

#4 ·
good to hear, i just spent 100+ at the lbs tonight, and the juicys are just failing. The lever won't return up front and I'm just pretty much done with them.

Best deals on the xt? I know I can do a slx calipers with xt levers, right?

I'd like to keep a 160R and 185F, that seemed to work pretty good. If I can find the whole deal for 250, I'll buy tonight!

A friend said he saw them blown out for hella cheap about three weeks ago, guess I'll wait for a sale.

#7 ·
A couple questions, I've tried searching but I'm a little lost.

If I buy an 08 xt caliper/lever set, will i need the caliper adapters or no? I'd like to keep the ones on there from my juicy5's as well as keep my 185F 160R rotors. Will those work too?

Some sites say that only shimano rotors will work...

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.