Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GT LTS-1 Suspension Problem

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PeterDays 
#1 ·
Hello

Recently I dusted out a 1997 GT LTS-1 that had not been used in about 5 years. I have been going out about twice a week for the last months. Really happy with my bike, and even though it is an old bike it is excellent condition just because it has not been used that much.

But today just before my Sunday ride I noticed some slop in my rear suspension,upon closer inspection: AAGGGHHH... I am misssing one of the main "allen bolts" that hold the linkige together. I don't know how long I have been without it but at least one ride for sure.

So my questions are:
Was this problem ever common in this type of suspension?

and second

Where can I get replacement that will fit without problems?

Tomorrow I'll call the local shops to see if anybody has the part but I doubt it. I bought this bike in the US 10 years ago and brought it to Venezuela inmediately.
So much has changed in GT in all these years I do't know if parts for this type of suspension are available in the states, much less here.

I'll appreciate any help I can get

Pedro
P.D. This is the bushings system NOT Bearings

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
PeterDays, all is not lost. I recently built up an LTS-1 frame that had one of those same bolts stripped out. I also had slop in the bottom-bracket area bushing as it was way worn out. You can go several ways to fix this.

Remove the bolt on the other side or take the whole bike with you to a local hardware store (better a small store where the employees actually can help you as opposed to a big-box type, but you do what you gotta do). Through trial and error you can probably find a bolt that will fit. The bolt lower face is conical so you need to find a washer that the bolt can press against into the conical depression. Tighten it up good and tight.

This is a temporary fix. It will at least get you out on the trail while you wait for your permanent fix to arrive.

You need to find the replacement part. This is the hard part, either to locate something local or put out the cash for a bearing replacement.

The bushing parts show up on E-Bay. Just search the cycling area for LTS and you will see several offerings, just not always what you are looking for.

The bushings may be available from Bens Cycle and Fitness. Find them here at:
http://www.benscycle.net. You just need to make sure what you are looking at actually fits your model. Best to email them prior to ordering.

The other way, and the best repair, is to order the replacement bearing package from BETD in the UK. Their site is at http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=103&Name=GT+Lts+and+Sts+spares. They have a direct fit replacement for the rear of the linkage pivot. I ordered one to replace the missing parts on my LTS. The order arrived after about a week. The price may seem steep, but I can attest it is massively solid, does not squeek like the bushings, and it will probably extend the life of this bike by tens of years.

Good luck and happy trails!

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the info.

But help me here a little, I like the option for the bearings but it is not quite clear o me which on I need. I 'm assuming it is this one:

GT Rear of linkage bearing kit 97 onwards

This kit fits the rear pivot that connects to the seatstay. It uses 4 sealed ball bearings. It fits the later frame that uses the trunnion mounted shock.
Price: £30.00 ($45.00,€33.60)

Set Currency:
Quantity required

This will only replace bushings and parts for the linkage I lost the bolt in, right?
If I want to change the rest of the bushings I have to buy other kits?

If I only change the one I am missing and leave the others with bushings, would it represent a problem?

Once again, thanks fo your help.

Pedro

#6 ·
With the Bens Cycle stuff you have too make sure of the year and the model for it to fit. I don't think they really have their stuff labeled correctly, by the looks of it.

If you are going for the BETD kit, the one you want is for the rear of the linkage on trunion shock mount models. It gives you the bolts, bearings, and nylock nuts. The only thing I had to add was a couple of small 1mm thick washers in-between the seatstays and the link (the spacing was for some reason a bit big.)

You can just replace that pivot set and leave the others until you absolutely need to replace them.

#8 ·
You may have already solved your problem. Losing that bolt was very common. Fortunately, it's not a GT-specific bolt. I was able to pick up several of those at a local hardware store back when I rode one of those frames (it is a '97 or later). The threads are metric.

#9 ·
Ive lost one of those bolts too.

If youve gotten a new bolt, put some blue loctite on it, that will prevent it from working itself loose.

I know its easy to forget, but always check nuts and bolts before and after each ride to prevent mishappenings and unecessary breakage :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.