Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2009 Fuel EX8/9 vs Roscoe I/II/III

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JAKEEFER 
#1 ·
GOAL: I'd like to improve & spice up my general XC riding by riding faster over the rough, tight & technical stuff and adding bigger jumps and drop offs, without losing control.

QUESTIONS: To everyone who already tested both model series:
1.) Which is the most FUN bike? Why?
2.) Do the ProPedal settings of the RP24 forks show any significant added value?
3.) Can the Talas fork of the Roscoe III be adjusted while riding? is this a feature that will be used frequently?
4.) Are the Elixir brakes a true improvement over the Juicy 7 (noise, maintenance etc.)?
5.) Which bike would be best when riding sandy dune tracks with lots of tree roots, surrounded by deep, sandy pot holes?

Thnx!

#2 ·
I got to test a Roscoe III a few months ago. I liked it so much that I put one on order that day. However, I changed my mind and ordered a Remedy 9 instead. But, back to the Roscoe. I currently own a 2008 Fuel EX 7 that has been upgraded between an 8 & a 9, so I think can relate to your questions.

1. I thought the Roscoe was just plain fun and a giggle almost as soon as I took off on it. I don't know what it was about it. The bars and the tires made me feel like I was on a dirtbike - I guess.
2. I didn't have enough time to fiddle with the new RP24s.
3. Same as above.
4. My EX 7 has Avid Ultimates and the Roscoe's Elixirs felt better, although I've never had any trouble out of my Ultimates. The Roscoe brakes seemed more powerful and smoother.
5. I'm not sure I can answer your riding conditions question. The Roscoe has some big tires which should help it ride on top of the sand, but overall, the Roscoe's probably not going to be as fast a roller as the Fuel.

Good luck with either purchase. They're both great bikes.

#3 ·
1. I tested the Roscoe III (140 Talus RP24 fork/RP DRCV rear) at the 12 hours of Temecula race along with an Intense Tracer (36 Talus RLC fork/RP23 XV rear), Trek Remedy 9 (36 Talus RLC fork/RP23 XV rear) and Trek Fuel EX 9 (130 RP24 fork/RP23 XV rear). I was most impressed with the rear shock on the Roscoe, not the fork. The RP23 XV on the Roscoe definitely ate the small bumps better than the other two bikes with RP23s, making a very smooth ride. Have tested about 10 other bikes at various other races and the Roscoe seemed to take the small bumps the best out of all if my memory is correct. It was a very solid bike. I am buying the Remedy 9 though since want 160mm of travel and it feels the most confident while descending out of every bike I have tested. The Remedy 9 was the most fun to ride.
2. The advantage of the Talus RP24 fork is the on-the-fly adjustability for varying conditions and ascending/descending.
3. Yes, I use it frequently. But then, I'm not one of those persons that likes to set and forget it.
4. I haven't noticed any significant differences between the elixir and the 7, except the elixir brakes can be applied much easier with one or two fingers while the 7 will require a bit more effort. If money is no problem, I would go with the elixirs, otherwise save some $ with the juicy 7s.
5. I agree with runjhike's comment. If conditions are mostly cross-country get the Fuel or the Roscoe. If they are more downhill, get the Roscoe. Or better yet, get a Trek Remedy.

#5 ·
Some more EX9 vs Roscoe III questions

Thnx Runjhike & Dufus. Some more info wanted:

1.) What are the main differences between handling characteristics of Roscoe III & EX9?
2.) Does Roscoe III handling become quicker if Talas fork is set on 120 / 100 mm?
3.) Does Roscoe III show (much) more pedal bob than EX9?
4.) Will Roscoe III be (much) slower than EX9 on fast, tight, narrow curved XC tracks?

New bike must be able to handle XC tracks, that get extremely sandy in summer or extremely muddy in winter. Although new bike will be used in Holland for 90% of the time, new bike should also be suitable growing experience with rocky all mountain riding.

#6 ·
I'll add something regarding the brakes on this. Yesterday when I was at the LBS I talked with the guy about the Elixir brakes - they are meant to be an option between Codes and Juicys. I can say that the Elixirs felt better than my friends Codes, that's for sure. My buddy with the Codes upgraded from Juicy 7s, he nevered stopped complaining about those brakes, there was always something he had to adjust or bleed. Once I have my nickles and dimes saved, I'm going to snatch a pair of Elixir CRs. Elixer CR: pad contact-point adjustment. Elixir R: no pad contact point adjustment. That's the only difference aside from th CRs having the option of a Carbon lever.

#7 ·
I've ridden a bunch on the 08 fuel EXs, had a bit of trail time on a roscoe, and I just built and took my 09 remedy 7 on its first ride. I guess I'm not alone.

The fuel EX has the best small bump compliance IMHO, top end of the shock stroke felt better than my '07 remedy 6 and is easily on par with my new Remedy 7. The Roscoe was a fun bike for sure, but I felt a little funny on its long (relative to the remedy at least) top tube. The ABP on the Roscoe works very well, and the DRCV shock feels great on medium sized bumps.

I ended up ordering a Remedy 7 because I'm riding (or getting into) more technical stuff and I like the fit of the Trek better. I haven't had much chance to play with the RP24 fork, but I do really like the Elixir brakes (my new bike just has juicy 5s, but they are plenty powerful for my 140lb riding weight).

Hope that helps!

#9 ·
In Holland all '08 EX9 bikes have been sold out early summer already. I think the '09 EX9 will do the job, but especially the Talas fork should(?) make the Roscoe II / III more versatile. Is Talas used for changing general handling characteristics or is Talas only ment for climbing long steep hills?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.