Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2009 Magura Marta SL or Hope mono-mini??

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Curious-George 
#1 ·
I will have a Ibis Mojo with a Magura Thor or Dt EXC 150.
I'm 200 pds. I do marathon race, hard XC.

I think that the Mono mini are not available any feedback on the 2008?
Reliability of Marta SL vs Mono mini.

Set up, bleading......

I was interested by the Formula R1 but the Canadien distributor is horrible.......

Thanks

#2 ·
have used hope mono mini 2008 and now using marta SL. first i have to say that both systems are very good, but my personal poinion is that the martas is better. a little bit more power and better modulation and are not overheating as easy as mono mini. but the mono mini is way easier to blead.

but that´s just my way to se on it.

#3 ·
Baltazar said:
have used hope mono mini 2008 and now using marta SL. first i have to say that both systems are very good, but my personal poinion is that the martas is better. a little bit more power and better modulation and are not overheating as easy as mono mini. but the mono mini is way easier to blead.

but that´s just my way to se on it.
Are you on 08 or 09 Martas?

#4 ·
I am on a pair of 06 Marta SL and I have only had to bleed them once since I built the bike in October 2005. They are still running as well as the first day I installed them, meanwhile I have cracked a set of rockers and the front triangle, and dented the seatstay ....

#5 ·
nybike1971 said:
I am on a pair of 06 Marta SL and I have only had to bleed them once since I built the bike in October 2005. They are still running as well as the first day I installed them, meanwhile I have cracked a set of rockers and the front triangle, and dented the seatstay ....
i have a set of marta sl and an other par of marta too. both are awesome. they are better then my '08 XT's.

#8 ·
I'm in...

the same boat. Trying to decide between waiting for the new Marta SLs (or SL mags), or getting the (available now) Hope Mono Mini Pros. I am building up an Ibis Mojo SL, in a XC build (as light as reasonable) with a Minute MRD absolute 130 mm fork, XTR drivetrain, and I-9 Stan's Olympic wheelset.
It looks like the new Martas will not be available 'til midwinter, and I have the rest of the bike ready to go, so I am leaning towards picking up the Mono Mini Pros now. Ultimate braking power is not so important to me, but modulation and reliability is (as well as light weight, but both these brakes are very light).
I assume no one yet has experience with the new Martas, unless one is a top level pro riding the protos...

#9 ·
while I'm not riding the mags, the 2009 Martas are a lot better than the 2008s and earlier models. They modulate better, they're easier to bleed (thanks to the bleed screw on the master cylinder as opposed to "open up the reservoir and hope for the best" bleeding of yore) and they use the Louise pad, which is bigger. The lever also feels better in my opinion, but that's all personal preference anyways. The only problem i have with the 2009s is that the reach adjustment on the 2009s is not as adjustable as on the 2008 Marta SLs I had. For what it's worth, I have the standard 2009 Martas, not the SLs or Mags.

#11 ·
Ive had allot of disc brake sets, 2 sets of Hope, 4 from Magura, Avid, Shimano and Hayes, I keep coming back to Magura, now they have improved there ergo's for inside outside compatibility with Sram shifters, I won't be going anywhere else for anything up to DH level!

I'd like to see something a bit beefier for DH but not as beefy than the Gustav, something between a Louise and Gustav would be nice, I'm about function not bling,

Hopes without doubt probably the best Jewelery you could hang off a bike if you like that sort of thing, but there floating rotors ping like crazy, Magura's Venti does not, totally silent!

For me Marta's and Loiuses are my brakes of choice and even more so in 09, everyone has copied there design layout, and the new clamp is awesome they have some of the best rotors going, and they work for me!

I wanted to try Formula's but not anymore!

Magura all the way for me!

#13 ·
mtbmitch2 said:
chain reaction cycles in UK has blowout prices on 08 hopes, and free shipping with a set
Am I missing something? I've been looking at those on CRC for awhile now and the prices are still the same, and I don't see any free shipping........or do you have to put it in your basket? I'm totally lusting after a set of mono mini pro's :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.