Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old Carbon/Ti Lefty DLR "extended length"?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RoyDean 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find the bearing reset "extended length" (and where to measure it from) for an old skool Lefty DLR (carbon w/bonded clamps, Ti spindle).

From what I understand, this model isn't really "user servicable", but I've got an experienced Cannondale mechanic doing the work for me... he just hasn't done the work in a while and doesn't have the extended length numbers. He assures me that he has all the tools.

I tried search but couldn't find specifics for the bearing reset numbers. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
TYPE OF FORK SHOULD MEASURE
*Fatty-type 70mm forks: 63.6 - 68.6 mm (2.50" - 2.70")
Super Fatty-type 80mm forks: 74.0 - 79.0 mm (2.90" - 3.10")
Year 2000 (original) Lefty DLR fork: 528 - 533 mm (20.80" - 21.0")
Year 2001 Lefty M, DLR, or ELO fork: 536 - 541 mm (21.10" - 21.30")
Year 2001 Carbon Lefty ELO: 533 - 538 mm (21.0" - 21.20")
Just found this on C-dales tech site.

So, my lefty is actually an old ELO coverted to manual lockout. I'll assume that the length should then be 533-538mm.

#3 ·
RoyDean said:
He assures me that he has all the tools.......
If he did, this would be a moot point. Older forks required useage of a bearing reset guide, which made it explicitly clear when you were done, and also holds the inner races and bearings in place during the procedure. Without it? Have fun......:rolleyes:

#4 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Older forks required useage of a bearing reset guide
Yeah, as I was cleaning all of the bits and pieces and he was pulling out the remainder of the tools (a couple of digglers and that grooved tube) and he exclaimed, "Oh yeah, I forgot that this thing has the depth grooves in it!".

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.