Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Virtual Races?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Valdemar 
#1 ·
A friend of mine mentioned there is a site out there where ppl post their GPS times and "compete". He didn't remember the address and all I was able to find is singletracks.com, they have virtual race page but it is nearly empty in terms of posted data. Perhaps someone on this forum can kindly post a link? Thanks.

#3 ·
motionbased.com (which is about to get flushed down the toilet in favor of garmin connect) has a feature called "dot race". You basically load two different tracks into the same map and a little dot moves along the corresponding track just like a little race. The problem is that to be a real race, both tracks have to be trimmed down to eliminate the "pre-race" movement. For example, a lot of my tracks have me riding in circles at the trailhead waiting for my riding partners to get ready... if I don't cut that portion of the track out, then it's difficult to compare track times....

For example:

royldean.motionbased.com

click the check boxes next to any two tracks that say "downingtown" (try the two most recent downingtown entries), then on the drop down menu at the top of the list, select "dot race".

[edit] Looks like the transition to garmin connect, which was supposed to happen tomorrow, is now not happening until Aug/Sept...

#4 ·
RoyDean said:
[edit] Looks like the transition to garmin connect, which was supposed to happen tomorrow, is now not happening until Aug/Sept...
I have two Garmin GPSs, and have bought three different software packages. My experience is that Garmin has delayed every release date ever posted. That is for the best, in my opinion, and I do like Garmin products. I just wish they would not post release dates, ;)

#5 ·
RoyDean said:
click the check boxes next to any two tracks that say "downingtown" (try the two most recent downingtown entries), then on the drop down menu at the top of the list, select "dot race".
Sounds cool however this isn't working for me, getting XML parsing error in the map area on Firefox and nothing at all in IE. Do I need to install their software first to view this in a browser? Also, is this possible to "race" another user?

#6 ·
you need to install some adobe vector graphics plug-in, not sure what it's called but if you dig around on the motionbased website you'll find the link to the install.

And yes, you can race other users. The MB search engine is sort of clunky, but you can search based on just about anything, and what you would want to do is do a search based on the usernames of the two people...

#10 ·
RoyDean said:
At about 250 tracks, this website doesn't appear to be super beneficial... MB has (literally) thousands of mountain bike tracks worldwide....
True, but the description for a site where people post their gps tracks to "compete", geoladders is more or less dedicated to that premise.

But I agree, geoladders can't hold a match to the amount of data motionbased houses!

#12 ·
Nathan Cloud said:
True, but the description for a site where people post their gps tracks to "compete", geoladders is more or less dedicated to that premise.

But I agree, geoladders can't hold a match to the amount of data motionbased houses!
Yup, geoladders is more like what I had in mind. No doubt that both are very valuable resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.