Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

older FSR bushing question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Entrenador 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I know there are still a ton of '99 FSRs running around the trails out there, and probably more people that have serviced these frames. Hope a few of you read this.

My 1999 FSR Stumpjumper has a bit of play in the rear triangle. I've isolated it down to the seatstay /rear shock pivot, where the shock meets the dogbone & the seatstay. I pulled out the bolt, and thin washers came out too -- one from under the bolt and the other from under the nut. With the seatstay disconnected, I'm pretty sure I can still feel the play between the dogbone and the shock, though this might be because of the lack of bolt tension?

Shock works fine still, and over all the bike is great. But what can I do to eradicate the slack in that spot? New dogbone? Bushing?

Useful help appreciated.
105mm

ps- I didn't find any old threads regarding this issue, but any links you have bookmarked are appreciated.

#2 ·
mrp

The little rocker is a weak point in the design. I put on a aftermarket link and rear bushing set from a company called mrp- mountain racing product. It really helped stiffen up the rear while giving a little more travel. There are other aftermarket products, or there were. Don't know if they sill make em.

#3 ·
what he said

see if Mountain Racing Products(MRP) is still around. The x link kit, complete with the needle bearing kit for the rear swingarm, will transform the bike. Make sure you get a complete set of new DU bushings, top hat reducers, amd hardware for mounting the shock from Fox.

I did that conversion to my 99 FSR pro probably in 01-02. You bump the rear travel out to 3.75", from the stock 3.25" if I remember right.

The link and needle bearings really stiffen and smooth the rear travel out, it's night and day. Once you get the back working sweet, it's time to get a good 4" travel fork up front. I rode my 99 stumpy till the end of 05. The aforementioned MRP X-link goodies, an 05 Vanilla R, Avid mechanicals, and a sweet hugi/Sworks disc wheelset, the bike was light and fast.

Too many seasons, and too many miles, I developed a play in the rear triangle that couldn't be improved.

So I stripped the wheels/brakes/fork off of the 99, and built up an 06 FSR. The 99's are a great chassis, but you gotta get a longer travel fork up front, that's my opinion.

good luck

#4 ·
MRP stuff = ~$210 total... no disc option

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm torn -- I already have a decent 4" fork ready for it, but it's a V-brake bike with no disc tabs in the rear. I could run an avid disc up front and dial them in with the rear vees using SD levers...:rolleyes: Starting to sound like a money pit.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.