Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SRAM X-9 vs. Shimano XT front derailleur

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Squash 
#1 ·
I have an older XT front derailleur on my bike now and it could probably be updated. I have SRAM x9 triggers and an X0 rear derailleur so I was just wondering if anybody has any comparisons between the two. Obviously the SRAM X9 FD is less expensive but is it still a good product? I like all my other SRAM items but I don't want to downgrade either.

Thanks

YR

#5 ·
Does your XT front derailleur have wiggle?

Yeti_Rider said:
I have an older XT front derailleur on my bike now and it could probably be updated. I have SRAM x9 triggers and an X0 rear derailleur so I was just wondering if anybody has any comparisons between the two. Obviously the SRAM X9 FD is less expensive but is it still a good product? I like all my other SRAM items but I don't want to downgrade either.

Thanks

YR
They eventually wear out. Check it out. I like Shimano front mechanisms the best; I have both on my bikes. They just shift so smooth. X9 is fine though...I have no plans to replace the one on my full suspension bike.

Jaybo

#6 ·
I put a X.7 on my bike and couldn't stand it(Running X.9 shifters and RD) I just switched it up for an 07 XT(the 08 XT is hot BTW). The X.7 was much harder to tune, and it just didn't work as well, it also weighed more. Shimano is the way to go with the FD right now I think.

#7 ·
With a 10-tooth jump between the middle and outer rings, I was able to set up my XT '08 bottom swing with the outer cage closer to the top of the outer ring than I could with the SRAM. At the desired 1/8" gap or so, the SRAM's inner cage insisted on bumping the top of the middle chainring. The difference in shifting between the two rings is noticable. Both FDs work fine mechanically, but the XT works better for me.

#8 ·
The SRAM is a good front D.....

but the new XT stuff is really sweet. For 08 Shiamno bumped the tension on the return spring so you get a more positive feel in either direction. I think that the competition from SRAM has forced Shimano to wake up and smell the coffee! Just look at the choices that you have from them. Used to be if you wanted XTR you had it their way or no way. Now you can go with anything from Rapid Rise, Traditional, Flip Shift levers, or Rapid Fire, etc. And the XT line has gone back to it's roots as the "work horse" group but with the same choices as the high end stuff.

Not putting in a plug for Shimano, but the line has been drawn. Now SRAM needs to step up. I've used both Shimano and SRAM drive trains and the new 08 Shimmy XTR and XT stuff is on par with SRAM all the way, and you have more choices.

The bottom line is the new Shiamo XT offerings are as good as their SRAM counter parts. I don't think you'd be disapointed with either as long as you don't run into any technical issues like jrk. Your choice, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I wouldn't hesitate to set up a bike with either X9 or 08 XT, or a combination of both.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.