Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st Trip to White Clay Creek, Newark, DE

96K views 712 replies 113 participants last post by  Puddle 
#1 · (Edited)
So I drove down the New Jersey Turnpike for 45 minutes or so, and I found myself at White Clay Creek in Newark, Delaware. I was supposed to go a few weeks ago, but I was sick and couldn't make it. Well, I made it down this past Saturday, and I must say, this is a fine place to ride! I printed Ken Cox' map earlier in the day, and wouldn't you know, I forgot to pack it. Fortunately, the trails are well marked and the place is fairly easy to navigate.

I did the Lenape Trail, Bryan's Field Trail, the skills trail, the Earth Day Trail, and one other which I can't recall. I was thoroughly impressed with the skills trail. I've seen several photos of the skills trail on various forums, and I always thought that it looked rather "simple." Well, this was the first time I rode any type of stunt or obstacle, and I have a new found respect for those northshore riders. This is not as easy as it looks. To be honest, I think the mental portion of it is the toughest to overcome. Riding it wasn't extremely difficult, although I had some trouble on the skinnies next to the suspension bridge. I walked through the skills trail the first time just to see what was there, etc... I was kinda sketchy about the suspension bridge, so I opted for the skinnies on the left. I nearly endo'd on the first teeter, just before the suspension bridge. It seems like it is missing 1 plank or something. I hit it twice, and it happened each time. I dunno...maybe I'm just hitting it wrong??? Overall, the skills trails was really nice, and I can't wait to hit it again.

I rode for about 2 1/2 hours, until it starting getting dark. Ran into quite a few friendly people as well. I had a great experience here and can't wait to hit it up again to explore everything I missed.

Zig Zag Bridge....not as easy as it looks.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Suspension bridge...yeah, you don't see too many of these out on the trail. Weird to ride it.

choices; A) Long skinny, B) Whoops, or C) Rock Garden

Earth Day Trail

Bryan's Field Trail

See less See more
#5 ·
10 minutes further down 273 and you can hit Fairhill. huge park and great trails. you need to be real careful around the horses, and there really aren't any "skills" trails, but you can ride there for hours without repeating any loops (if you're into that sort of thing). real special place.

#8 ·
Giggle is Right!

streetpro0323 said:
Middle Run/White Clay is one to the best maintained trails in the area along with being one of the fastest giggle out loud rides around. Enjoy it.
Yo, if you dont know about Middle Ring you need to check it out. The guys who work on this system have done a great job!!! Real fast and twisty, with lots of fun around every corner.

#9 ·
White Clay/Middle Run has been one of my favorite rides in all my years riding.Rutkiller glad you had a good time.I think you and a few other guys from my area have been posting about Ceres Park in Mantua.Once i recover from my surgery we'll have to see if we can all get a big group ride going.By the way,what bike is that in the photos?

#10 ·
White Clay/Middle Run is a great place to ride. I can take both my rigid SS and my FS geared bike out and each is a great ride. If you're interested in helping with trail building etc, drop a line to the Delaware Trail Spinners at www.trailspinners.org. Join the Yahoo group to hear about meetings, trail building sessions and organized group rides (a great way to learn the park).

#12 ·
Carn75 said:
White Clay/Middle Run has been one of my favorite rides in all my years riding.Rutkiller glad you had a good time.I think you and a few other guys from my area have been posting about Ceres Park in Mantua.Once i recover from my surgery we'll have to see if we can all get a big group ride going.By the way,what bike is that in the photos?
Yeah Carn, that's me posting about Cere's Park. I know Cere's isn't quite as big, but with a little work, I think it can be quite a place. Now that the weather is finally starting to get cooler, I typically turn my attention to snowboarding, but I'm definitely up for some building and riding back there after the short winter season.
BTW...the bike is a Jamis Dakar...

#13 ·
the sloth said:
How is the crowd on the weekends?
I believe this place attracts a fair amount of people. As I said, I started my ride around 4:00 pm or so and ran into about a dozen people. I believe there are organized group rides on Saturday mornings and/or early afternoons, so I would imagine there are some good crowds there.

Although it can get somewhat busy, the place seems large enough where you don't notice the number of people there....I don't think it would ever feel crowded.

#15 ·
Kiwi33 said:
Any suggestions on the best trail in Whitetail for a begginer?
Try parking at The Judge Morris lot on Polly Drumond rd. It's the southeastern most part of it all and is a pretty
basic loop with a cutoff trail around the middle. Take note of how many cars are in the lot and be alert for alot of hikers.

#16 ·
Kiwi33 said:
Any suggestions on the best trail in Whitetail for a begginer?
Do you mean White Clay ?

The Judge Morris loop is about the worst trail in White Clay Creek SP for a beginner. It has the most roots, rocks, off-camber turns, sharp turns, and the most hikers.

Much better for a beginner is the John Bryan loop. If you find that easy, add on the Whitely Farms loop. Check out the map available at the previously mentioned link for parking and trail locations.

TS

#17 ·
troutboy said:
Do you mean White Clay ?

The Judge Morris loop is about the worst trail in White Clay Creek SP for a beginner. It has the most roots, rocks, off-camber turns, sharp turns, and the most hikers.

Much better for a beginner is the John Bryan loop. If you find that easy, add on the Whitely Farms loop. Check out the map available at the previously mentioned link for parking and trail locations.

TS
I've never thought of the Judge loop that way. As far as I can tell there is roots, rocks,
sharp turns and hikers EVERYWHERE in White Clay. JM the most roots, rocks, sharp turns in White CLay???? I don't think so.:)....... BUT, Parking at Bryan's Field off of 72 is also a good option.

#18 ·
rutkiller said:
Yeah Carn, that's me posting about Cere's Park. I know Cere's isn't quite as big, but with a little work, I think it can be quite a place. Now that the weather is finally starting to get cooler, I typically turn my attention to snowboarding, but I'm definitely up for some building and riding back there after the short winter season.
BTW...the bike is a Jamis Dakar...
I agree,about 15 yrs ago when i first started going back there it was starting to be built up then.Then people kinda of backed off a little.I hear the whole winter sport thing coming up.Hopefully i'll beable to ski this season. I had the same Dakar,color and all.I loved it.I just sold it and bought a 08' Jamis XAM 1.0

#19 ·
Judge Morris is Simple!!!!

troutboy said:
Do you mean White Clay ?
The Judge Morris loop is about the worst trail in White Clay Creek SP for a beginner.
TS
I have to disagree; this is a basic section of the system and a great place for a beginner. I can't imagine how you think otherwise.

No worries, to each his own. I say go to the Judge Morris section for a nice intro to this system.

#21 · (Edited)
I did one loop of the Bryan's field trail (2nd time there) then I tried the skills trail for the first time yesterday (11/8) and couldnt do about 95% of it (I'm still a beginner) Pretty fun but definitely much harder than it looks...I remember looking at the large teeter-totter and saying no way am I going to try this...Good thing thing you can bypass the stuff that is too technical :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.