Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Prophet square edge performance

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  racerzero 
#1 ·
Hey my Prophet has a Swinger X shock ...And i am not to happy with the Square edge bump performance of my ride...Question is will a shock upgrade improve this or is it a single pivot issue that i just have to live with?

#2 ·
mzungo said:
Hey my Prophet has a Swinger X shock ...And i am not to happy with the Square edge bump performance of my ride...Question is will a shock upgrade improve this or is it a single pivot issue that i just have to live with?
Not so sure I understand your question. The Swingers have a very crisp point of departure from their platform. Others are softer. Is this what your asking??

#3 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Not so sure I understand your question. The Swingers have a very crisp point of departure from their platform. Others are softer. Is this what your asking??
Well no ! I find that compared to say a Reign or Nomad type suspension, the square edge bump absorption on my Prophet seams to be lacking.(hit a root and it really feels like you hang on it rather than absorb and roll over)

So is the Single pivot design the reason for this or is it down to shock absorber type?

Thanks for the reply Mendon.

#4 ·
Well, can't say as I've noticed that. However, I haven't ridden the Giant lineup for anything but a parking lot test ride, and as we all know, they all feel good there:D I have both a Prophet and an Astrix Monk (single pivot), and feel them to be adequate. Maybe I'm missing out? However, with the higher angle of approach, achieved by my Monks 29er wheels, I guess it becomes less of an issue:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I'd keep playing with your current shock's adjustments, you may just haven't found the sweet spot yet. If the X is like the Swinger 3-way, it can take a while to really dial it just to your liking. Maybe you have too much platform or the rebound is not just right... Hard to tell from a description over the web though.

#7 ·
Different suspension designs and layout can make a difference though. If you look at the physics involved in the rear suspension, the axle path, initial angle of the axle path and other things make the suspension feel and behave differently. A single pivot with a medium-high pivot location like on the Prophet can 'feel' like it hangs longer on some obstacles since the rear wheel first travels a bit backward relatively to the frame so it can actually spend a bit more time over the obstacle compared with a lower pivot. Maybe you are feeling that effect. i don't think it's that feelable...

But that pivot location is a blessing when climbing and it can eat slightly bigger bumps better than if the pivot was lower. Every designs have forces and flaws, some bigger, some smaller. Overall though, I think the Prophet's suspension is a winner, it loves rock gardens, makes drops and jumps disappear and stays glued to the trails....

#8 ·
Upgraded to Fox RP23

I just upgraded from a Fox Float R to the new Fox RP23 on my Prophet. It made an enormous difference. Totally eliminates the issue you described when I turn off propedal. I think the geometry is fine. Now if I could only get my lefty as smooth...

#9 ·
Omg

GnarlRider said:
I just upgraded from a Fox Float R to the new Fox RP23 on my Prophet. It made an enormous difference. Totally eliminates the issue you described when I turn off propedal. I think the geometry is fine. Now if I could only get my lefty as smooth...
Do not diss the lefty they will never forgive;)

I think i will try to beg a shock to see what the difference is.

#10 ·
Hi mzungo,
I know exactly what you ae talking about. This problem has nothing to do with this single pivot thing. In fact single pivots located this high are generally much better in absorbing square edge hits than Maestros or DWs for example (everyone who has ever ridden a Orange 223 or 224 would say so). The main problem is the dampener. If you are able to pedal smooth and are able to live with a little bobbing (and of course do not stand up and hammer on the pedals) give the Roco air a try. It has a lot less compression dampening and therefore much better square edge absorption. As the negative air can ot the shock is adjustable it is the most tuneable shock out there (spring rate wise of course, the rest of the shock is very basic, only rebound). I had some problems with this problem too and only modifiing the swinger to a shimstack shock did it right (so no SPV and a little bobbing).
CW

#11 ·
mzungo said:
..Question is will a shock upgrade improve this or is it a single pivot issue that i just have to live with?
Yes.

You can improve square bump somewhat by experimenting with different shocks and settings but the bottom line is the conventional single pivot is connected directly to the shock so the rate is a compromise. The other multilink designs you mentioned can change the rate at very stages of compression. eg. soft on initial travel for really good square bump performance.

Cannondale does have a single pivot that mimicks the multlink designs by using a shock link. It the Judge which has excellent square bump compliance.

Per the Cannondale site:

SHOCK LINK PROMOTES STAGED TRAVEL

Stage 1:
Supple off the top
Stage 2:
Stable pedaling platform
Stage 3:
Ramped for the big hits

I can tell you the above is no advertising gimmick. Hopefully Cannondale will come out with same shock link designs for a Prophet styled bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.