Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc Brake Pad Questions...

943 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  timms 
#1 ·
I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Chris

#2 ·
Chris130 said:
I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Chris
I use Galfer or EBC Gold pads with Galfer or round Avid rotors. Squeal is minimal and rare. There is no way to guarantee any disc setup will never howl. I have had my brakes be totally quiet for weeks, suddenly start howling during a ride, then go silent again a ride or two later. All without doing anything to them.

Note that any time you change the pad brand/compound it is best to completely clean the old compound off the rotors. This can only be done well with 800 grit emery paper, LOTS of water and a fair amount of time.

BTW I get the longest pad life and best overall performance with the Galfer pad and rotor combo.

#3 ·
Shiggy,

Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.

Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

Cheers, Chris

#4 ·
Chris130 said:
Shiggy,

Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.
They're only $15 at pricepoint.

#5 ·
Cobretti said:
They're only $15 at pricepoint.
My bad, I should've been more specific; I was talking about the rotors with that comment. However, after doing some comparison shopping, I'll say the rotors really aren't that expensive either. Gotta pay to play!

Cheers, Chris

#6 ·
Chris130 said:
Shiggy,

Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

Cheers, Chris
I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.

#7 ·
shiggy said:
I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.
I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.

#9 ·
timms said:
I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.
I do nothing but wipe down the rotor with alcohol. Rarely ever do anything to the surfaces after that unless I change pad compounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.