Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Philosophical Discussion

2K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  fatheadfred 
#1 ·
Is single speeding a worthy commercial cycling endeavor or is it simply a tea-bagging of cycling component giants such as Shimano??

#5 ·
jennytalia said:
Is single speeding a worthy commercial cycling endeavor or is it simply a tea-bagging of cycling component giants such as Shimano??
most every bike maker offers a single speed, and has done so for some time now.

shimano and other giants produce ss parts, and have for years.

ergo i dont understand wtf youre talking about.

#8 ·
Is your question from individual mountain bikers perspective?
Or from Shimano's competition's perspective?

If the answer is the first, I do not think that SS'ing is a financial rebellion against a parts producer. If you're asking the second question, I still disagree. Shimano's competition is offering various mountain bike models to capitalize on the SS demand, not to "tea bag" them.

#9 ·
Damn hippies.

edit: Sorry John Michael, I wasn't responding to you...just the thread in general.

Damn. That really killed the effect I was going for :madman:

#10 ·
I like the direction in which this thread is headed. Let me clarify further for those of you who are more concrete with regard to abstraction ability.

Could the efforts of various component manufacturers making higher end SS parts be putting the veritable hairy nutsac on the faces of Shimano, Shram, etc.

Discuss

#11 ·
jennytalia said:
I like the direction in which this thread is headed. Let me clarify further for those of you who are more concrete with regard to abstraction ability.

Could the efforts of various component manufacturers making higher end SS parts be putting the veritable hairy nutsac on the faces of Shimano, Shram, etc.

Discuss
i dont think shimano's too worried about it

#12 ·
It's kinda like the Shimano ads showing various mtb stars holding up two fingers, except take away one of the fingers.

Yeah like hollister said, I don't think Shimano is to worried but it sure is funny how a ever increasing section of mountain bikers has given the "cutting edge" of technology the old swift boot to the curb.

#13 ·
jennytalia said:

Discuss
But then isn't it ironic that the "various component manufactuers'" technique of tea bagging is exactly the same as the business decisions that made Shimano a leading cycling company; by producing higher quality parts...?

You're essentially asking a "chicken or the egg" type question. Did SS'ers create the demand for better SS parts? Or did the availability of bling SS parts create the demand for SS's?
_______

And Bui, I kinda figured that wasn't directed at me. No worries.

#14 ·
Will there be an Honors Section for this class?

I've been telling Shimano to lick my hairy nutsack for years. With the exception of the DuraAce cassettes on my Cane Creek wheels, the XT deraileur and barend shifter on my 1x8 all my bikes are Campy, Mavic or Sachs equipped. I hadn't been consious of any anti-Shimano bias on my Rig, but it is 100% Shimano free.

Anyway, Singlespeeders seem (to me) to be anti-big company. Even if Shimano engineered a grouppo that equalled the current components I'd still ignore Shimano.

I'll rebuild my original Nuovo Record and Super Record groups until I can't obtain parts any longer.

#15 ·
John_Michael said:
But then isn't it ironic that the "various component manufactuers'" technique of tea bagging is exactly the same as the business decisions that made Shimano a leading cycling company; by producing higher quality parts...?

You're essentially asking a "chicken or the egg" type question. Did SS'ers create the demand for better SS parts? Or did the availability of bling SS parts create the demand for SS's?
_______

And Bui, I kinda figured that wasn't directed at me. No worries.
Egg-f**king zactly!!!! JM you're now in the lead!!

#16 ·
Hmmm... now that I think about it, my SS has no Shimano or Campy parts.

Oh wait, yes it does. My 9 year old Deore crank.

When I'm riding with other singlespeeders they call me names like "Shimano Crank Guy" or "Crank From Shimano" or "Bologna For Feet"...

/obscure?

#17 ·
SSers dont have derailleur envy (except for those who use Rohloff tensioners) but the big component production manufs who make derailleurs probably envy the SS aesthetic.

Rohloff "speed hubs" I think is an attempt by a company that aims to be a "major player" in wanting cycling aficionados to adapt the SS appearance aesthetic while still offering the consumer instantaneous gear choices. I think this is a thinly veiled ploy to put saran wrap between sweaty, hirsute scrota and their (corportate) face.

#18 ·
jennytalia said:
SSers dont have derailleur envy (except for those who use Rohloff tensioners) but the big component production manufs who make derailleurs probably envy the SS aesthetic.

Rohloff "speed hubs" I think is an attempt by a company that aims to be a "major player" in wanting cycling aficionados to adapt the SS appearance aesthetic while still offering the consumer instantaneous gear choices. I think this is a thinly veiled ploy to put saran wrap between sweaty, hirsute scrota and their (corportate) face.
put...

down...

the pipe...

:lol:

#19 ·
jennytalia said:
Or maybe it is an attempt to make a more reliable system to change gears. Do you really think Rohloff aims to be a "major player" by selling $1000 speedhubs?

#24 ·
JennyT: I'm guessing this is your philosophical question:

"If I post something in the SS forum that is sure to spark debate, but also use a phrase like "tea bagging," will I get more responses about bikes or balls?
_____
Ernesto: Google translator gave me "hairy and stinking eggs after walking" as a translation to your last post. I find humor in this.

#25 ·
John_Michael said:
JennyT: I'm guessing this is your philosophical question:

"If I post something in the SS forum that is sure to spark debate, but also use a phrase like "tea bagging," will I get more responses about bikes or balls?
_____
Ernesto: Google translator gave me "hairy and stinking eggs after walking" as a translation to your last post. I find humor in this.
I apologize if I instigated any undue mentation. It's good conserve thinking or reflection 'cause for heaven's sake we don't want to deplete those finite resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.