Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Building DJs . . .

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  B100 
#1 ·
Well, I've figured out how to put my bigass yard to some use. Build a jump! Because my folks won't want me tearing it up too badly, I'm only planning on about a 8ish-9ish foot gap, but that isn't what this topic is about.

At my friends bigass yard across the street, we built a makeshift jump with about 7 feet in between (again, not the point, just for the sake of reference) it's pretty good and it works, but it's far away (in quality) from the DJ's down near the creek, that are a reddish dirt color and are hard. Anyway, it rained today, and I'm guessing the jump is kinda fvcked up . . .

My question: what is the best way to make jumps out of softer brown dirt STAY hard? Do I just pack them A LOT? The landing isn't so much of an issue, it's just gotta stay level. That's easy enough.

BTW: yes: cinder blocks were/are going to be used to keep the jump from wobbling.

#3 ·
There are tons of different dirts out there, some look exactly the same - which is the case around here.

FYI My jumps were FAR harder to shovel than the ones at my buddies place, (consequently they packed harder and almost never need repairs) but the dirt looks and feels exactly the same. Then we have 3rd set made from nearly pure clay... nothing grows, not even weeds. Its like concrete.

You just have to work with what you got or keep searching. There are ways to get around it, like j-dogg posted, but they usually arnt free.

I consider myself lucky to have (generally) good dirt.

#4 ·
If you do not have access to clay or dirt with clay mix, you need to have patience and water. You'll have to take your time. Start with a pile of dirt and begin to shape it. Once you have a decent sized pile, about 2 wheelbarrow loads, use logs, wood or bricks to build a frame around 3 sides of it, the back and 2 sides. Now start to pack the dirt in around the logs or whatever you use. Pack the dirt in, sprinkle with water, and then pack more. Don't use too much water. Just enough to where it starts to run off. Then pack pack pack. Packing is the most important part. When you think you've packed enough, pack a little more. Now just keep repeating the process. Add dirt, pack, water, pack, add dirt, etc. Once you get your size, shape your lip. Pack it down, water and let it sit for a day. Come back, water a little and pack some more. Be patient as the process will take a day or two. I have never used kitty litter or concrete mix. I would advise against using concrete mix. If erosion is a problem, find some scraps of old carpet. Cut a long narrow piece that will cover the lip. Turn the carpet upside down so the shag part is in the dirt and you ride on the back side. Lay it so it covers the lip and goes over the top of the jump. It doesn't have to cover the whole jump, just the lip and the top. Carpet is optional. Carpet will save you from having to do alot of maintenance. If you do it right, you won't need to use carpet. Note: do not pile up logs or bricks and try to pile and pack dirt on top of them. The dirt won't pack in and become solid. Rain will wash away the dirt and all the little gaps will open up and your jump will crack apart. Use logs or bricks on the sides and and back only. Do not use sand or sandy soil. It will wash away and not stick together when packing. Once the jump is packed in and hard, small cracks will develop. Use fine soil or a sandy soil to fill in the cracks. Wet the jump lightly then cover with sandy soil, pack in, and water lightly again. This will give you a lip smoov as butta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.