Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pisgah Epic 11/26/2006

4K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  jack22 
#1 ·
Ok everybody. The moderately paced and distanced ride is for the 24th.

This thread is the ride for those seeking a painful adventure.

PisgahProductions mentioned something about doing part of the Assault course. That would be Heartbreak and Kitszuma. I was wondering if there are any other trails in the area that we could connect up to? I don't know that area as well as the ranger district.

I am open to suggestions right now. I am thinking that we can get started pretty early in the morning and ride all day.

#2 ·
extrmtao said:
Ok everybody. The moderately paced and distanced ride is for the 24th.

This thread is the ride for those seeking a painful adventure.

PisgahProductions mentioned something about doing part of the Assault course. That would be Heartbreak and Kitszuma. I was wondering if there are any other trails in the area that we could connect up to? I don't know that area as well as the ranger district.

I am open to suggestions right now. I am thinking that we can get started pretty early in the morning and ride all day.
Isn't it still Bear Season till Jan 01 there on Heartbreak?

#3 ·
brado1 said:
Isn't it still Bear Season till Jan 01 there on Heartbreak?
I remember seeing that. E and I may not have thought that one all the way through. DOH!

I guess we will be hittin the Ranger district up. Maybe a Trace/Bent creek kind of thing. . . So many options. . .
]
Late edit. I really can't spell and thanks for the info Brad.

#4 ·
The toll road is closed but Heartbreak is not.
My suggested route (Anyone let me know if there's a no-no in here):
Starting at Old Fort Picnic area or Andrews Guyser to the church and the bottom of Heartbreak. Up Heartbreak to Star Gap, down to the grassy road of death all the way to Curtis Creek Rd. Curtis Creek to the Parkway. Parkway to Heartbreak. Heartbreak back to the church. Gravel Road to Old 70. Kitsuma back to the car.

#5 ·
pisgahproductions said:
The toll road is closed but Heartbreak is not.
My suggested route (Anyone let me know if there's a no-no in here):
Starting at Old Fort Picnic area or Andrews Guyser to the church and the bottom of Heartbreak. Up Heartbreak to Star Gap, down to the grassy road of death all the way to Curtis Creek Rd. Curtis Creek to the Parkway. Parkway to Heartbreak. Heartbreak back to the church. Gravel Road to Old 70. Kitsuma back to the car.
If all those trails/roads are open, I am down for sure. Maybe we can find the closures online somewhere? I will do some googling and see what I can find.

#7 ·
My understanding is that the Toll Road is closed from Oct 1 to Jan 1, becuase the bear hunters (land owners) say so, not neccessarily because of bear season being from Oct 1 to Jan 1. Anyway, if we stay off the private land we're good. As a bonus the 26th is a Sunday and hunting is not allowed on Sundays! (yet)
Again, if anyone has info to contradict this, please let me know!
~E

#8 ·
E- your information is correct.
I should hopefully be down for this, although I've got an injury right now (not MTB related) that I may or may not be recovered from by then. If I am down, I would personally promote parking at Kitsuma down Kitsuma, up Star Gap, grassy road , up CC, Parkway, HB/Star Gap , back up Mill Creek. Flows better for me and less driving.
That's it, out.
Mike

#18 ·
teamdicky said:
You guys can make the call. I can be anywhere at anytime if I can make it happen. Can you (you meaning we/us/them/they) pull off a ride that long in seven hours of daylight?
What meeting spot??
Black tie or casual?
Bring pretzel lights and sweater vests. . . E will have to cover the rest.

#21 ·
Allrightythen... If I'm making the plans then here goes with a slight change that I hope everyone will be O.K. with.

Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the KITSUMA parking lot
Ride at 10 starting with the Kistuma singletrack

This way, if we're racing against dark we'll be on the gravel/Old 70, not wondering if we have time for Kitsuma.

Bring Petzel headlamps J.I.C.

Erinna and I will be in the Jeep, maybe Wode too...

~E

#22 ·
extrmtao said:
Just like the S.Pig there I am leaving from Greenville and I am willing to carpool as well.

Any lurkers from G-ville/spartanburgh area?
i'm out

Bastards, the lot of ya! i wanna go, but it is my wife 40th B-Day. Damn, i'm torn! wanna ride, wanna be a good hubby :madman:

#23 ·
pisgahproductions said:
Allrightythen... If I'm making the plans then here goes with a slight change that I hope everyone will be O.K. with.

Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the KITSUMA parking lot
Ride at 10 starting with the Kistuma singletrack

This way, if we're racing against dark we'll be on the gravel/Old 70, not wondering if we have time for Kitsuma.

Bring Petzel headlamps J.I.C.

Erinna and I will be in the Jeep, maybe Wode too...

~E
Uhhhh... duuuuuhhh.... Is that the Black Mountain exit??

#25 ·
Count me in for thursday AM and keep us posted on any updates to the plan.

I'm interested in car pooling from somewhere in Asheville. I live in Woodfin and can drive to meet up.

This ride is a grate excuse for loading up on carbs thursday, extra stuffing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.