Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bent Creek Interactive Map Test

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  HatTrick 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

I've put up a new interactive map of Bent Creek and would like some folks to test it out. Let me know what you do/don't like, what you want to see added, etc... This format will be used for many other maps on my site as time goes on.

Here's the link:
http://maps.wncoutdoors.info/

Click on the Bent Creek Area Map link. Feel free to test out any of the others as well.

Note: You'll need Internet Explorer and the Adobe SVG viewer to see the map. If you don't have it, it'll prompt you to install it. SVG works OK in Firefox/Opera, but not the interactivity. Firefox version and standard printable images (or PDF's?) coming soon.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments. Great feedback. I will constantly update the map as conditions change and I can do it at a moment's notice. I can even add temporary closures, such as logging projects, etc... with this format. I'll check on Chestnut Cove and some other trails as to their "official" usage status and reflect that on the map. Thanks for the catch on Green's Lick. I'll add it soon! Also, what kind of "interactive" things might folks find useful? I'm thinking about adding camera icons at various points on the map linking to pictures, things like that. Useful, or fluff?

#10 ·
I think pics would be awesome. It's not clear what trails are open to what users. They are colored but the color system is not explained.

People who have ridden BC and know there way around will probably not use this map. I think your map and much of your site is for people unfamilar with the area. I suggest you make a few guided routes. This makes it easy for a first time vistor to not end up riding around in circles. Great Job!

#12 ·
Thanks for the comments. These maps and the site in general is definitely geared toward people who haven't ridden in the area, or those who have but want to explore a new area to ride.

And yes, I haven't uploaded the key/legend yet. That'll explain the color system and it's coming with the final release. Also, since the Forest Service wiped out the trails I used for my Best Rides in Bent Creek, I took those of the site. I'm putting together some new Best Rides in Bent Creek and the map will allow users to highlight all trails and roads used for that route, so they're more visible. That's coming in upcoming revisions as well.

Keep the comments coming - anything you think those new to Bent Creek or other trails would find useful in a map!

#13 ·
For one of the BC best rides I suggest starting at rice pinnacle

up north boundary rd
down on greens lick
back up on little hickory top
down on ingles field gap
continue on wolf branch
then deer lake lodge back to the parking lot

If you want to broaden your appeal to local riders who know the area, I suggest making some longer epic best rides.

#14 ·
Yep, that's a good one. Only problem is I hate North Boundary - too much poison ivy and those grade dips are all mud holes on the back side. But, since it's unavoidable to get to the top of Green's Lick (oh, heck, you forget about all that on Green's Lick anyway) that might work. I was also thinking of right on Laurel Branch after Greens lick, to Lower Sidehill/connector, to Explorer Loop, back on Pine Tree and eventually through the lake area back to the start. I want to make one huge loop and a few shorter ones into Best Rides, possibly two that include the downhill on Green's Lick. So many options...

#15 ·
Maida7 said:
If you want to broaden your appeal to local riders who know the area, I suggest making some longer epic best rides.
Agreed. A couple of years ago when I started mountain biking seriously, MTB WNC was very helpful in getting to know everything we had around here besides Bent Creek and Tsali. I quickly worked my way from Eastern Slickrock up to Black Mountain and soon would only do Black Mountain, as it was one of the few documented rides that was actually over 10 miles long. However, now that I am away at school and also racing, I am only back for short periods of time and thus only have time to ride a couple of epic rides. Personally, I would recommend posting the ORAMM course or sections of it, but then again, maybe that's the whole point: save the best rides for the locals who know about them.

#16 ·
Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep those in mind when coming up with any new rides. I've always wanted to come up with an epic Pisgah tour that started in Bent Creek, and went all the way to Davidson River and back, or something like that. Although most of my rides are and will still be geared to visitors who need some heavy guidance. That's also why I provide the raw trail data for each trail - so folks can piece together their own epics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.