Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

03 SGS Team rearend flex

982 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  DangerKitty 
#1 ·
I know Evil is making a new rearend for these, but is there anything else to do to them to help reduce the flex?

#2 ·
schwaaa31 said:
I know Evil is making a new rearend for these, but is there anything else to do to them to help reduce the flex?
Well, mine was flexing a lot, so last summer I made a little mod. It involved a couple pieces of 3/8 threaded rod, 8 nuts, and 8 washers. I took the linkage plate off and drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the open space between the shock mount and other mounts. I then used the rod, held to the plates with nuts and washers on either side of the plates, to hold the two linkage plates parallel to each other. Amazingly stiff!

Sorry, no pics!

danno

#3 ·
DangerKitty said:
Well, mine was flexing a lot, so last summer I made a little mod. It involved a couple pieces of 3/8 threaded rod, 8 nuts, and 8 washers. I took the linkage plate off and drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the open space between the shock mount and other mounts. I then used the rod, held to the plates with nuts and washers on either side of the plates, to hold the two linkage plates parallel to each other. Amazingly stiff!

Sorry, no pics!

danno
I actually thought about doing something like that, but figured it would void the warranty. But hell, its a much cheaper fix than buying the new rear end. I may look at doing that. No pics? Could you email me one, or you just dont have one?

#4 ·
schwaaa31 said:
I actually thought about doing something like that, but figured it would void the warranty. But hell, its a much cheaper fix than buying the new rear end. I may look at doing that. No pics? Could you email me one, or you just dont have one?
Sorry, never took pics of that mod and I'm on the injured list right now and can't get to the bike. Picture this though: I first got the biggest washers that I could find with a 3/8 hole in them (around 1" diameter). I centered the washers in the linkage plates and marked the best place to drill the holes. The linkage plates were off the bike and held together in a vice to do the drilling. I then re-assembled the bike with the stack up on the threaded rod like: outer nut | washer | plate | washer | nut | .... rod ...... | nut | washer | plate | washer | nut. Made a huge difference and cost all of $5.

I've done some big stuff with this setup with no problems, but if it breaks at some point it was still worth the increased stiffness. BTW, the shock took a lot of side load when it was flexing.

danno

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I was contemplating doing something like that, and I'm glad to hear that its been done and it worked. I cant afford a new rear end right now, and the bike is super flexy, so to the drill press it goes. I'll post some pics when its done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.