Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Locktite for a ext BB?

866 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hatake 
#1 ·
This may or may not have come up before....I recall something about it but couldn't find it again...

I've got a Truvative Fire SX crankset with the external bearing bb. After about 500 km of riding, today it has decided to start getting loose on the hex that keeps the two halves together. I was riding a long distance and moderately hard, so it became a chronic problem on the ride today. :mad:

I know I have heard of this before....but this is a first for me. Is it possible to just locktite the bloody thing, or am I going to run into troubles later if I do? If so, what color locktite would folks recommend? :confused:

Thanks

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

As the bike is still new, I ran it past the LBS where I bought it. The guys there are top notch and, as you said jmelani, thought locktite would be a bad idea as it could get into the bearings.

They hauled out the torque wrench and got it back up to spec (which was a heck of a lot more than I could do out on the trail with the multi-tool) so hopefully it'll be good. If not, they figure something else is in the mix and they want the bike in to investigate. What can I say, the LBS is a gem and they look after me swell.

Hopefully, I'll have nothing more to report on the issue :)

#7 ·
jmelani said:
It can do harm if it works its way into the bearings. I would think you shouldn't need it.
I can't agree more. Especially if it finds its way into the bearing seals, your rubber seals are trashed. It will leak grease and let the contaminants come into the bearings. The bearing are compressed into the cup - if you pre-locktight the orphice, then the Locktihgt liquid will likely to find its way into the bearing. Not a good idea. I'd get some spacers that covers external bearing surface, stack them up, hammer the spacers to make sure the bearings sits level with the cup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.