Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hand and wrist protection thread

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  tkblazer 
#1 ·
I know, I know. Another AM specific gear thread. Well, there's legitity to this I think. There is a trend for more protection, without the bulk. So whatever.

I'm a musician, and let's say my hands and wrist are very important to my career. I would like good protection in that area specifically on most rides that tend to be even slightly aggressive.

Yes, I know. You should tuck and roll on a fall to prevent wrist/hand injury. Well, sometimes things just happen too fast, I'm sure many can attest to that. You don't always have the option to prepare for a crash.

What I'm looking for is a glove that is very breathable and comfortable, but has some finger armor. Not like a dedicated downhill glove, obviously, but not like a minimal XC glove either. All mountain! *smashes can of MD on face*

Also wrist support that is not too bulky and can be used for every ride.

Suggestions? Thanks all.

#3 ·
#4 ·
You can try a wrist brace (like for skating/snowboarding), although I don't think its gonna work out for a bike. Rockgardn and Specialized make some cf armored gloves, mostly for trees as JMH said, they are well padded, but nothing I know of will prevent hurt fingers or wrist if you take the impact with your hands when you fall. You can usually roll, but I managed an angled OTB (rodeo?) and ended up rolling legnthwise on my side, and slightly sprained my right thumb... I don't even remember putting my right hand down, but my thumb and torn glove points to that happening at some point in that crash...

#5 ·
JMH said:
After several recent Aspen Encounters I am considering something with a carbon knuckle, at least on the last two knuckles. Are the trees close together where you ride?

Plus the carbon gives you a place to put sponsor's stickers, which is nice.

JMH
Yes, they are pretty close together. I'm in Connecticut, there is nothing but trees here.

And I know what you mean about the Aspens, I did some glade skiing in CO this winter, it can get a little scary.

#6 ·
not to sure what to say about wrist protection. i can't really think of anything other than maybe lifting gloves that have a wrist wrap. i'm not sure how comfortable they would be for riding though.

i finally wore through my 10 yr hold Fox Sidewinders today and I ordered a pair of these http://shop.foxracing.com:80/ecomm/ProductForward.do?forward=product.pagedef&proId=9960&cid=145&cname=Gloves&proNumber=24007&imgName=24007001F.jpg to replace them. I hope they breath well, it was around 110-113degrees when i went riding today.

if you need something with a little more c/f knuckle protection, maybe check out the cedric gracia model by 661.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Heat said:
if you need something with a little more c/f knuckle protection, maybe check out the cedric gracia model by 661.
My friend and I wear the 661 Garcia's and they're really not that great. The stitching on mine frayed after one ride (no crashes) and my friend's carbon knuckle protector snapped in half while messing around and flexing it (doesn't seem that strong) - I don't think it's going to really help if you smack your hand hard into a tree. Also, the carbon knuckle protectors have an uncomfortable tendency to dig into my knuckles while riding. Anyways, both of us have been disappointed with our gloves. Sorry I don't have anything constructive to contribute, but I thought I'd warn you about the 661 gloves.

#9 ·
stib said:
My friend and I wear the 661 Garcia's and they're really not that great. The stitching on mine frayed after one ride (no crashes) and my friend's carbon knuckle protector snapped in half while messing around and flexing it (doesn't seem that strong) - I don't think it's going to really help if you smack your hand hard into a tree. Also, the carbon knuckle protectors have an uncomfortable tendency to dig into my knuckles while riding. Anyways, both of us have been disappointed with our gloves. Sorry I don't have anything constructive to contribute, but I thought I'd warn you about the 661 gloves.
Do you think this is reflective of 661 quality in general, or just that glove?

#10 ·
Hi mkiv808, I'm not sure if this reply is coming too late, but honestly, I do think that it is a reflection of the quality of 661 gloves. I think it's strange that my friend's gloves failed and mine failed as well. My impression was that the stitching was inadequate for what the glove was supposed to do. But in all fairness, I just had a pair of Fox Incline and Sidewinder gloves that didn't last long either (but they didn't fall apart after one ride!). My old Specialized gloves lasted almost 5 years. I guess they don't make stuff like they used to. <sigh> I think my next pair of gloves are going to be motorcycle gloves.

#11 ·
davec113 said:
You can try a wrist brace (like for skating/snowboarding), although I don't think its gonna work out for a bike. Rockgardn and Specialized make some cf armored gloves, mostly for trees as JMH said, they are well padded, but nothing I know of will prevent hurt fingers or wrist if you take the impact with your hands when you fall. You can usually roll, but I managed an angled OTB (rodeo?) and ended up rolling legnthwise on my side, and slightly sprained my right thumb... I don't even remember putting my right hand down, but my thumb and torn glove points to that happening at some point in that crash...
I tried wearing a roller-blade type wrist guard under my gloves for a while after I recovered from a broken wrist to keep from reinjuring it. What I found was that A) I could not grip the bars well enough during braking and B) the impact over rough terrain seemed to be transferred to my proximal thumb area instead of my palms and hurt ALOT worse.

The wrap-type wrist guards shown in one of the previous links is not to save from injury when falling but to save from the impact of rough riding on palms and wrists. The closest thing that bike clothing manufacturers seem to have is a reinforced palm to protect from abrasion during a fall.

#12 ·
My hands are my career...

...as I am dentist. Gloves, handlebar position, etc. are all very individual so what I like may seem extreme to others. This combo has served me well for over seven years with no hand or wrist problems. I wear Triple 8 wristsavers
over my gloves which now happen to be Specialized Fortress.
I have usually worn out or broken several pairs of the Triple 8's per year. Even though they are $15-$20, they are still far cheaper than lost time at work or orthopedic surgery. I got used to them quickly as far as being comfortable on the bars and I do not notice them at all even on 4-5 hour rides. This set up is likely overkill for most, but I swear they work well.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
mkiv808 said:
Do you feel those hot or cumbersome at all? How do they breathe?
They breath well actually. They are close-knit mesh b/t the fingers and the ribbed parts on the fingers are air vents. I have a pair of the Specialized Radiators too and these breath about the same albiet a bit bulkier.:D

#15 ·
wrist protection

wrist protection is a BIG problem (should I say Achiles tendon?). As a surgen (most of my work is gentle under the microscope type) I use light full finger glove and the 661 gaurd mentioned above. Usually works great. the wrist gaurds do irritate the joint a bit especialy if you are doing tech stuff requiring wrist motion. They don't provide absolute protection but do take enough of the hits to be worth wearing. Trust me, I just broke my wrist during the only ride not wearing them...

#17 ·
HENRI8 said:
wrist protection is a BIG problem (should I say Achiles tendon?). As a surgen (most of my work is gentle under the microscope type) I use light full finger glove and the 661 gaurd mentioned above. Usually works great. the wrist gaurds do irritate the joint a bit especialy if you are doing tech stuff requiring wrist motion. They don't provide absolute protection but do take enough of the hits to be worth wearing. Trust me, I just broke my wrist during the only ride not wearing them...
Which exact 661 wrap are you using? The Lite?

#18 ·
i run these rockgardn gloves that i just happened to stumble upon at my LBS. they fit and function just like a normal glove, but the closing strap has a thick leather band and velcro in two different spots. The first velcro closure tightens the glove to your wrist and the second one determines how tight of a support for the leather band.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160006861249&category=22683

for that price, its worth trying it out

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.