Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me move to AM!!!

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kovi 
#1 ·
I spent a lot of time looking for a new frame for my XC bike. I wanted a good FS XC frame once I love to descent and to fly over not huge, but not baby drops. I was wondering about upgrade my HT to a 4" xc frame, but with time I figured out that maybe a "light" AM frame would do the job.
I want something that can handle fast techinical descents and drops but can climb well and even race sometimes. I usually ride long epic trails and aggressive XC, but still like to ride some fast XC trails with friends.

My question is, what can I move from my HT to this new bike. Maybe I will have to change some parts for stronger ones... What do u think?
I am probably getting a Motolite, a 5 spot or a blur LT (any suggestions?).
Here goes my setup:

-Fork: 2004 RS Psylo Race
-Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (160")
-Shifter: XO Trigger
-R. Derailleur: XO Mid Cage
-F. Derailleur: XTR
-Hubs: XT
-Cranks: XTR
-BB: Integrated
-Stem: Thomson Elite 120mm
-Seatpost: Thomson Elite
-Saddle: Specialized BG
-Handlebars: FSA K-Force XC Risebar low
-Headset: Kings No Threadset
-Pedals: Wellgo (dont remember the model. Cheap ones)
-Rims: Mavic 221s (old stuff)
-Tires: Maxxis Rancheros (rear) / Maxxis Ignitor (Front)
-

See less See more
#2 ·
Treat yourself to a new fork, everything else looks good..... maybe some new wheels at some stage. Some parts might not fit the new frame though. I'd also think about a 7" or 8" rotor on the front if you have long down hills.

BTW nice short list of frames

#3 ·
I agree with Steve

New fork with longer travel, built for abuse, and potentially a larger rotor up front and you're good to go. Keep in mind a few things when looking making the switch. You may not be able to swap over the seatpost, front derailleur, and bottom bracket. Make sure you check these measurements before you commit to the new frame. Not saying to buy your frame based on the seatpost size and BB shell, just saying be ready to buy new parts in this instance. Lastly, the RS Psylo has ISO monts, so make sure the new fork is ISO too. I don't believe there is an ISO to PM adaptor for mounting your rotor.

Bob

#5 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
New fork with longer travel, built for abuse, and potentially a larger rotor up front and you're good to go.
Really? Hehehe, I thought my Psylo would handle it, once it can go up to 125mm. But it was on my plans to change it for a Minute or Talas.
My original concern was the Stem (120mm) may be too long and the handlebar (FSA XC carbon) may not be strong enough. No prob with that?

Thanx for the help.

#6 ·
Yeah I know. Its always the same. Everybody says to me "Turner rules!". The 5 spot is probably the one I´ll get. I have 2 great bike dealers here in Brazil, one sells Titus and the other Turner. I can easelly get an Intense or Santa Cruz here too. I think the nomad is too heavy for the propose I want (this mix of XC and AM) dont you think?

Thanx dogonfr

#7 ·
Jabura said:
Yeah I know. Its always the same. Everybody says to me "Turner rules!". The 5 spot is probably the one I´ll get. I have 2 great bike dealers here in Brazil, one sells Titus and the other Turner. I can easelly get an Intense or Santa Cruz here too. I think the nomad is too heavy for the propose I want (this mix of XC and AM) dont you think?

Thanx dogonfr
Two very good frames. Dont let TNC hear you say the Nomad is a porker he wiggs out. TNC does alot of XC/AM mix on his & has very good things to say about it. I belive he has his in the low 30's for weight. The Nomad will definatly not disapoint you, it's just different looking. :)

#11 ·
your Psylo will handle it just fine. my friend does DJ/FR with a 2004 psylo XC. but I would treat myself to a new fork, definatly keep your psylo because its a great backup fork. the rest of your components will do just fine, in terms of frames, nomads rule, they are a little different looking, but I think thats cool. the turner 5 is such a sick frame, between those two you cant go wrong.

#14 ·
Jabura said:
what do you think of the mavic 717? I was thinking about them on my XT hubs... Any other suggestion?
I use the same combo: Mavic 717 with XT hubs, and I am very happy with them. I ride aggressive XC, like descending, some moderate jumps as well, and they work well so far. But you have to bear in mind that they are real XC rims, Mavic has other suggestions for AM use as I know.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.