Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Klein Attitude vs Trek Fuel EX 7

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Phil 
#1 ·
Currently I ride a Trek 6500 with upgraded Wheels (mavic), Front Fork (Reba) and upgraded disk brakes. The bike is great, but I feel that if I am going to start building my ideal bike I need to upgrade to a higher end frame, because although I have no problems with my current set-up it could be a better.

The options I am looking at are as follows:

1) Upgrade to a Klein Attitude frame and switch over all my upgraded parts from the Trek to the Klein.

2) Switch to full suspension, and go with either a Trek Fuel EX 7 or a Trek Fuel 80

I love riding hardtail, I love the weight of the bie, the speed and the handling. I ride entirely XC with a lot of rooty and rocky patches and a fair amount of climbs and descents.

My worry with switching to a full suspension is the weight, the loss of power due to the bobbing, and a much slower ride in the flat hardpacked areas. That being said I have never saddled up on a full suspension so I am hoping that someone here can offer some insight.

Thanks in advance for all your help

See less See more
#2 ·
Well...

You really owe it to yourself to try out an FS bike and see if it is for you. I think that'll clear up a lot of questions that you have. Grab a friend's ride and try it out on the trails.

having said that, I'm a big FS convert. you can get an FS bike down to 25lbs, but the ex7 will be in the 30lbs range. But I think it's worth it. You're that much less beat up and tired at the end of the day.

obviously HTs have their place too in this world, but I really don't see much point in upgrading to the Attitude - it's just a nicer frame, it doesn't add any capabilities to your arsenal.

Also, on a general note, upgrading piecemeal is always going to be more expensive than buying the complete bike all at once.

Another way to think about it is you're spending 1500 on an EX7? you could almost buy a full XTR/X0 grouppo with that money, or some nicer 800 wheels and some drivetrain bits, or...

GL,
-don

#3 ·
So in your opinion upgrading to the Klein frame is not worth the money . . .

my LBS is going to loan me a fuel 80 to take on a test ride on a local trail of my choice, so I will definately try the FS out first. However, took the Trek 6500 out today and I have to say I love riding my hardtail.

I was also thinking of spending the money on upgrading the drive train on the 6500, and going with an all X0 set-up, but thenI am still building on a mid level bike, so I don't know.

Thanks for the opinion and please keep the advice coming

#4 ·
XC23 said:
Currently I ride a Trek 6500 with upgraded Wheels (mavic), Front Fork (Reba) and upgraded disk brakes. The bike is great, but I feel that if I am going to start building my ideal bike I need to upgrade to a higher end frame, because although I have no problems with my current set-up it could be a better.

The options I am looking at are as follows:

1) Upgrade to a Klein Attitude frame and switch over all my upgraded parts from the Trek to the Klein.

2) Switch to full suspension, and go with either a Trek Fuel EX 7 or a Trek Fuel 80

I love riding hardtail, I love the weight of the bie, the speed and the handling. I ride entirely XC with a lot of rooty and rocky patches and a fair amount of climbs and descents.

My worry with switching to a full suspension is the weight, the loss of power due to the bobbing, and a much slower ride in the flat hardpacked areas. That being said I have never saddled up on a full suspension so I am hoping that someone here can offer some insight.

Thanks in advance for all your help
I have a 2001 Fuel 100. I think the new Fuel 80 has the same basic frame and 3" rear suspension. I never really notice the bike bob. I know it does bob, because if i look down at the rear shock while pedaling hard, i can see it move, but i don't feel it. i'm no racer and i do all of my climbing seated. if you clike to stand and hammer, you might notice it more. I love the bike, geometry seems to work well for me. I feel way less beat up after long rides, it climbs better than i do, and i never really noticed the weight when i first switched from a 6500 (or was that an 8500?). My build is about 28 lbs which is non-trivial since i'm just a little dude, but like i said, it doesn't feel heavy to me. It does feel "efficient" though - as in almost but not quite enough rear travel for my preferences.

I have an EX-9 on order. It's time to upgrade a bunch of parts, but for the most part, i really just want that extra inch of travel.

#6 ·
Right.

okay. it's one thing if you decide that you MUST HAVE an FS after you test ride the Fuel 80. By all means buy one if that's what you decide.

I'm all for trashing your current bike and replacing parts as needed. Wait a year or two and save up for the "really nice bike", like a Fuel EX 9 or 9.5 - something that has X0 and all the zoot parts on it in the first place. If you decide to stay on a HT, sure buy an Attitude, but go for the attitude XV or XX (these might not be the best value anymore tho - the Trek 8000 and 8500 are pretty good deals from what I remember)

Basically I'm saying try to hold off on buying new parts. I know it's cool and nice and hell, I love to buy new parts too, but I'd think you'd be better off waiting just a little bit to get something really super nice rather than spend money on a bike (ex 7) that I'm sure you'll want to upgrade in the future.

my 2 cents.
-don

#8 ·
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone . . . . it is a great help to hear from other riders who have been there.

What I think I am going to do is ride the Fuel 80 ( just because my LBS does not have a Fuel EX 7) in my size and see if I enjoy a FS bike.

If not I am probably going to buy a Klein attitude XV minus the front shock and wheelset (since the wheelset and fork on my bike are relatively new and suit me perfectly)

That being said does anyone disagree with me that if I am going to stick with a hardtail the Trek 6500 I currently have has to be upgraded? Or does anyone think the 6500 is a good enough frame to keep and ride?

#9 ·
I recently went from a 6500 disk to an EX-7 (both '06 's) and haven't regreted it for a minute! The weight is almost identical (around 30 lbs., the EX being a hair lighter than the 6500! ) between the two and after I spent some time setting the suspension, pedal bob is almost non-exsistent. Pedaling feels very efficient and the bike feels lighter to me than I expected. At first I road alot with the suspension set locked with the floodgates set stiff, but after getting the sag, compression and rebounds all set more correct I almost never lock the suspension. A little different riding style learning to sit down and enjoy the ride instead of constantly getting out of the saddle and unweighting. Anyway, a MUCH more enjoyable ride in my opinion...

Matt

#10 ·
So you are saying there are no differences between the weight of a 6500 and an EX7? I find that hard to believe . . . . if you are right I am very pleased.

My 6500 does not weigh anything close to 30lbs, I would say more like 26 lbs and I am riding a 21.5 inch frame. I woud put the EX7 at around 29-30lbs in a 21.5.

But interms of riding the 6500 then switching to the EX7 did you notice any decrease in climbing and overall speed? Or does the EX7 make climbs easier?

Thanks

#11 ·
My 6500 was with disc's so that might add a bit, but fresh off the floor in a 17.5" frame on a digital scale (not a bathroom scale) it came in at a hair over 30 lbs. My EX 7 at a hair under 30lbs. Not too hard to believe they could be about the same considering the 6500 frame is the Alpha Aluminum and the EX 7 is the ZR 9000 alloy which is a lighter blend alloy. Also the Reba fork is quite a bit lighter, lighter wheels, and you have a hollow crank on the EX along with all lighter components over all.
I can't give much help on the performance difference as I only had the 6500 for a short time before I traded up to the EX, but in the short time I had it I thought it climbed good but I wanted the overall perfomance of a dually. I feel that the EX climbs just as well now that I have the suspension set pretty good. I have noticed that I have the best climbing performance when I can stay seated, that seems to help the suspension keep the tire hooked on loose stuff. I am going through a learning curve with the bike as it my first FS, but so far I love it and I don't feel so beat up.

Hope this helps, Matt

#12 ·
How much do you enjoy climbing. I personally really enjoy hammering up climbs, and can't stand a dualie flexing below me. And few bikes really climb like a Klein hardtail. But if that isn't your cup of tea and you prefer comfort and more control going down hill a Fuel may be up your alley. A test ride is worth a million words so find a buddy or a LBS that will let you take a few out for a spin, and make sure they set up the suspension properly.

#13 ·
let's throw a Cake 2 into the mix

While we are deciding between the Klein attitude and Fuel EX 7, why don't we throw in a a GF Cake 2 to compare to the Fuel.

Would you choose a Cake over a Fuel? And are all the Cake frames the same, and just the componentry changes?

Reason I ask about the Cake is the LBS has a sweet deal on the Cakes right now, even better than the deals on the Fuels.

I am riding a FS later this week, so I will finally know the feeling, and if I like it I have to decide between the GF and the Trek.

Thansk for the opinions

#14 ·
XC23 said:
I am riding a FS later this week, so I will finally know the feeling, and if I like it I have to decide between the GF and the Trek.
when you test ride either FS bike this week, assuming that you get to test ride them up a technical hill (roots/rocks), be sure to give seated climbing a try (in case you are the hardtail hammering type). active full suspension is a good thing for seated climbing (IMHO).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.