Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly, On One, Rockwerks advice

852 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gatman 
#1 ·
I've been singlespeeding for a few years now but am about to build a dedicated bike. I've narrowed it down to two frames: Surly Karate Monkey, and On One's Inbred 29er with sliding dropouts.

I'm also weighing the options for the rear hub. I'm looking at Surly's disc hub, and the Rockwerks cassette single disc hub. I guess it's the cassette vs freewheel debate.

Does anyone have any feelings/advice for these frames and hubs I'm considering? I'm trying to keep overall price down, but don't want complete junk either.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

BikerTim

#2 ·
bikertim said:
I've been singlespeeding for a few years now but am about to build a dedicated bike. I've narrowed it down to two frames: Surly Karate Monkey, and On One's Inbred 29er with sliding dropouts.

I'm also weighing the options for the rear hub. I'm looking at Surly's disc hub, and the Rockwerks cassette single disc hub. I guess it's the cassette vs freewheel debate.

Does anyone have any feelings/advice for these frames and hubs I'm considering? I'm trying to keep overall price down, but don't want complete junk either.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

BikerTim
The On-One is cool. I've been riding one for a couple weeks, geared tho. I like the gusseting, the stays/fork design, and overall I think it's a way more interesting way to build a bike than the Surly. I think www.redstonecyclery.com still has one in stock. Might still have a gold 26'er too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.