Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cracked Flip flop link

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Murchman 
#1 ·
Anyone break a flip flop link and know what Specialized charges for a new one?

I noticed this crack in my link tonight cleaning up my bike 04 S-works Enduro

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks Jake, my LBS is calling it in today. Do you see many cracked ones like that and or know what the cause might be?

Reason I am asking is I snapped the bolt that holds the the shock to that link a few weeks ago while riding, then about a week or so ago my Brain failed, and now i find this crack and I am wondering if maybe all if it happen because of that air I caught on the trail and on landing snapped that bolt? It was nothing big maybe 2 1/2 feet and I have done it at least a dozen times before but I am a big guy at 6'2 220lbs and I didnt' land softly on that one.

Thanks again, just trying to figure out if I need to change the way I ride or its just one of those things that happens.

#6 ·
Murchman said:
Thanks Jake, my LBS is calling it in today. Do you see many cracked ones like that and or know what the cause might be?

Reason I am asking is I snapped the bolt that holds the the shock to that link a few weeks ago while riding, then about a week or so ago my Brain failed, and now i find this crack and I am wondering if maybe all if it happen because of that air I caught on the trail and on landing snapped that bolt? It was nothing big maybe 2 1/2 feet and I have done it at least a dozen times before but I am a big guy at 6'2 220lbs and I didnt' land softly on that one.

Thanks again, just trying to figure out if I need to change the way I ride or its just one of those things that happens.
I have seen this a time or two before. Usually it's due to a less than perfect weld, which sometimes happens. In your case, you may have been riding with the shock bolt loose, before it broke. It's a good idea to check all your fastener's torque periodically.

Also, you have to realize that big guys are more likely to break things. The smoother you can ride the better.

JW

#7 ·
It sucks being bigger then the average rider as I go through more parts then most of my riding buddies. Smoothness is getting there, you should have seen how many Fuel frame parts I have gone through before I switch to Specialized when I was first getting back into riding.

Thank you for the information.

One last question, the whole reason I found the crack is my LBS let me use a Fox RP3 shock while I sent my Brain off for service. The shock is 7.875 with a 2" stroke and I thought it would be best to flip the link to the slack setting to keep the angles close to what I was use too. Will using this shock cause any issues with the bike, I didn't see any frame issue with the shock but I do know it's a bit longer then the stock one?

#8 ·
Murchman said:
It sucks being bigger then the average rider as I go through more parts then most of my riding buddies. Smoothness is getting there, you should have seen how many Fuel frame parts I have gone through before I switch to Specialized when I was first getting back into riding.

Thank you for the information.

One last question, the whole reason I found the crack is my LBS let me use a Fox RP3 shock while I sent my Brain off for service. The shock is 7.875 with a 2" stroke and I thought it would be best to flip the link to the slack setting to keep the angles close to what I was use too. Will using this shock cause any issues with the bike, I didn't see any frame issue with the shock but I do know it's a bit longer then the stock one?
No problem. It will work fine, and the slack position is the right ticket.

JW

#10 ·
I'll vouch for that!

Murchman said:
LBS just called and said a new link is on the way and should be in by the end of the week at no charge as it will be under warranty.

Once again Specialized has come through with great customer service after the sale.
The LBS called them on Monday. Today I have my warranteed frame.

Specialized rawks.

fp

Attachments

#11 ·
Nice, my link came in yesterday as well. It was 30 grams heavier then my current link, I think the two maybe of different material as this one is black and scratches easy vs the bronze one I had that never showed a scratch. LBS said it could be six month before Specialized had the bronze one in and they figured I would rather take the black one then wait on the bronze one which they were right about but it would be nice to know if the weight difference is because they improved it or it's just a different metal.

#12 ·
Murchman said:
Nice, my link came in yesterday as well. It was 30 grams heavier then my current link, I think the two maybe of different material as this one is black and scratches easy vs the bronze one I had that never showed a scratch. LBS said it could be six month before Specialized had the bronze one in and they figured I would rather take the black one then wait on the bronze one which they were right about but it would be nice to know if the weight difference is because they improved it or it's just a different metal.
Jeff, those guys at your LBS ROCK! No one I know breaks stuff like you! Is it bad karma or do you just like the great attention you get at the LBS?

Later,
MTBXC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.