Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RM Blizzard fork travel

674 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fluffbomb 
#1 ·
I'm considering an 06 Blizzard frameset. Can anyone tell me the proper fork travel for this frame? I thought it was designed around an 80 mm fork, but the 2005 Blizzard complete bike from RM comes with a 105 mm fork. Which is best, or do they both work and it's personal preference?

#2 ·
Your Choice!

I doubt whether RM have redesigned the Blizzard since it became an 853 frame so it probably was originally designed around an 80mm frame to give a 71 degree head angle. However as 100mm forks have become the norm RM have probably specced them and accepted that the head angle will slacken to about 70 degrees. If you look at Geometry charts for an 80mm specced Blizzard versus a 100mm specced one then you should see this (I can't look myself at this time).

What travel fork you decide to fit will probably come down to your personnel preference. The 80mm fork will have quicker steering at the expense of bump absorption. In addition I don't think you need to worry about a 100mm fork overstressing the frame.

I've recently acquired a 2004 Vertex 70 originally specced with 80mm SIDs. I've fitted 100mm Vanillas and the steering is still nice and quick (quicker than my Kona with 80mm).

Later

Fluff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.