Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XX1 Wear Issues?

Like to see how many miles some of these components are getting before they need replacing.

I just had to replace my front 32t ring. 1000miles. The teeth show a ton of wear and I started having chain drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XX1 Wear Issues?

Phew, that's not very much

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    had you replaced the chain before that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am at 500 miles and have replaced one broken (while riding) chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm at 250 or so with no wear on the chain and the teeth/cassette looking beautiful. 2, 6 hour races and some training rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jek007 View Post
    I am at 500 miles and have replaced one broken (while riding) chain.
    How exactly did that happen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    had you replaced the chain before that?
    The chain and cassette seem fine. I put a the new chain ring on and its back to normal now. Competitive Cyclist even warrantied the ring. (Love those guys)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    How exactly did that happen?
    I was riding up a sharp incline and in too low of a gear. Hammered real hard and busted a link. I had a master link with me and repaired it on the trail. I'm still usin that chain for practice, but not races.

All bike, all the time
    Just spent much of Sea Otter talking to more than a dozen XX1 users, none reported any problems and all were more than happy after months of use. Anyone else out there with issues? Has SRAM been contacted?
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had clicking sounds coming from the rear derailleur and had to take apart and grease after a few rides. No problems after several hundred miles. There is a thread on the issue. Called Sram and they were no help.

mtbr member
    Explain what you greased. Was it a knocking noise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have about 1000km (625miles) on my XX1 and have broken 2 jockey wheels. Very hard to get parts.

Chain has now started to drop off as well but most of the first half of my riding has been in very wet and gritty conditions.

Cut my chain about 10mm too short initially (didn't set it up for maximum chain extension on sag) and broke a few locating screws as well.

very fiddly to get right.

love it very much but should it be this sensitive?

My X0 and XTR has never been this problematic and delicate.

anyone else had jockey wheel problems?
    Liteville 301 650b XX1
    Orbea Alma 29 1x10
    Niner SIR SS/Commuter
    Lynskey R230 Sram Red, DA wheelset

is RAD

Re: XX1 Wear Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    I have about 1000km (625miles) on my XX1 and have broken 2 jockey wheels. Very hard to get parts.

Chain has now started to drop off as well but most of the first half of my riding has been in very wet and gritty conditions.

Cut my chain about 10mm too short initially (didn't set it up for maximum chain extension on sag) and broke a few locating screws as well.

very fiddly to get right.

love it very much but should it be this sensitive?

My X0 and XTR has never been this problematic and delicate.

anyone else had jockey wheel problems?
    If your chain was initially too short, this may have damaged the jockey wheels, causing their premature failure.

Maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Explain what you greased. Was it a knocking noise?
    yes it was like a knocking noise and I thought it was the suspension, but found out every time the suspension compressed I would get the knocking noise. In the stand you could get the bike to make the noise by just putting a little pressure on the chain. I took the clutch apart and greased it and have not had any more problems. Here is a link to the thread XX1 knocking/clunking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    yes it was like a knocking noise and I thought it was the suspension, but found out every time the suspension compressed I would get the knocking noise. In the stand you could get the bike to make the noise by just putting a little pressure on the chain. I took the clutch apart and greased it and have not had any more problems. Here is a link to the thread XX1 knocking/clunking
    Having the same symptoms
    What is the current condition of your derailleur now after the greasing/adjustment?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Having the same symptoms
    What is the current condition of your derailleur now after the greasing/adjustment?
    I have to lube it with a little oil at the frame mount and the jockey cage pivot every few rides to keep it quite. It works fine just makes the noise. Not real happy after spending 1,000 on the system. There is a problem with the derailleurs and Sram does not seem to know how to fix it. I think it does hurt Sram's sales as when riding in a group riders ask me what that noise is and I tell them it is my 1,000 xx1 system and who wants a noisy system. The Sram brakes I had on to different bikes made noise and always needed to be adjusted and I would never buy them again. Do they even test this stuff?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

XX1 Wear Issues?

I love the XX1 system, but it has been wearing very quickly for me, most notably the chain ring. 280 trail miles and it was toast. I started to get a very bad grinding noise which caused me to look closer. I'll post some pictures later. My lbs got SRAM to warranty the ring, but they won't do it again. I'll just go to the new race face rings. SRAM did tell my shop that due to my weight and riding style (225lbs and all mountain riding on a Stumpy EVO) it didn't surprise them it wore so quickly. I beg to differ and expect my chain ring to at least last a full season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Isn't accelerated wear (and reduced weight) part of the equation with the XX line (1X11 or 2x10)?
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XX1 Wear Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    Isn't accelerated wear (and reduced weight) part of the equation with the XX line (1X11 or 2x10)?
    Are you being facetious?

Bicycle Addict
    My chain ring is already showing signs of wear after 10 miles. I would expect this after 100 miles. The derailleur has also started making some noise. Yay.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

Cannonball!
    650 miles, cassette is done and chainring is showing significant wear. Cassette has one broken tooth, and looks like teeth on most cogs are worn to nearly a hook shape. I assume this is not how they should be, but I'll compare to the new cassette when it arrives. I have also already replaced the derailleur due to breakage. Interestingly the chain shows very little wear, and I've been known to replace chains multiple times per year with other systems. I use Rock-n-Roll blue lube after every ride and wipe the entire drivetrain very clean, but I haven't used a chain cleaning device. Also, the protective covers on the crankarms are peeling off and look like sh!t.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    650 miles, cassette is done and chainring is showing significant wear. Cassette has one broken tooth, and looks like teeth on most cogs are worn to nearly a hook shape. I assume this is not how they should be, but I'll compare to the new cassette when it arrives. I have also already replaced the derailleur due to breakage. Interestingly the chain shows very little wear, and I've been known to replace chains multiple times per year with other systems. I use Rock-n-Roll blue lube after every ride and wipe the entire drivetrain very clean, but I haven't used a chain cleaning device. Also, the protective covers on the crankarms are peeling off and look like sh!t.
    Man you are hard on the equipment! I have never seen a tooth off a cog, but I guess it happens. $400 for a cassette...ouch!

What terrain are you riding?

Sounds like you are doing the right maintenance, not sure what else you could do. I'm quite sure the clunky derailleur is not helping.

Cannonball!
    It's been ridden on Pacific Northwest single track, a dozen or so short track races, one XC race, and one enduro race. I don't generally have a lot of drivetrain issues. Don't get me wrong, I am still not sorry I went with the XX1, but the durability so far is not what I would have expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am still not sorry I went with the XX1, but the durability so far is not what I would have expected.
    I'm not disappointed with 1X11 at all, just SRAM design/QC. Never had issues with my XTR drive train. When Shimano decides to release XTR 1X11, I'm outta here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by midbunchlurker View Post
    Are you being facetious?

Not intentionally, but after reading it again, it does sound like I was being a d1ck. My fault.

I guess what I was trying to suggest is it possible that the current rate of wear on XX1 components consistent with the XX line which by design aren't meant to last as long as say X9 or X7? I know a lot of people, myself included, are stoked on the 1x11 but are waiting for it to hit some of lesser lines for a savings at buy-in and lifecycle.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast