mtbr member
    Sep 2008

XX1 "shifts loud"?

I just put an XX1 setup on my Superfly 100. Only have played with it in the bike stand and ridden around the neighborhood so far.

Seems that the shifts are "louder" than my previous XX setup. That's about the only way I can put it. There is more gear noise during shifts and seems to be a good bit more "pressure" on the whole system. I'm assuming that is from the clutch setup and the wider gear ranges instead of the non-clutch of the XX? For example, if I put it in big/big in the stand and spin the cranks forward, they don't keep spinning, they just stop when I stop.

Wanted to see if that was normal. Was thinking by dropping by the LBS and letting them check it out just to make sure. I got the alignments/b adjustment/etc looking right, and I've never had a problem with X0/XX before.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine seemed like that in the stand, but when riding all good and quite. Did you get the chain set to the right length? Add 2 links plus quick link with suspension fully compressed if you have FS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, got the chain right for sure. I measured twice and double checked after the chain was though the derailleur. With the suspension fully compressed and in the big ring, I still have bit of derailleur travel that I'll never use. If anything, I'm on the long side, as I have like 2.5 links of overlap.

Agreed that when riding, it's nice and quiet and riding around the neighborhood I didn't notice it, just in the stand.

-Tom