mtbr member
    Feb 2012

XX1 jumping cogs when back pedaling

Please any help or advice on this.

Just had XX1 put on 2012 Stumpjumper expert carbon 29er. When i back pedal it jumps from the 10 cog to the 12 cog. I am using a grip shift and it runs up and down the cassette no problems when forward pedaling.

Everything looks in line out the back.

Also having same problem on friends S Works enduro with XX1.

Do i need to adjust Derailleur screws.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mine did this a couple of times - I'm wondering if it has something to do with the clutch? I had my mechanic do the entire build and check everything for ea race (he also works for us at the races). Setup is spot on as far as I can tell - but noises and this issue makes me wonder if that tension bolt is too tight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    142+ rear end ? I hear there is a special adaptor you need from specialized. Maybe?

mtbr member
    Same problem here. Mine only does it when in the 42. All other gears I can back pedal fine without it going down the cassette.

mtbr member
    Update: I was doing some service on the bike last night. The chain derails off the front of the cassette due to the extreme chain line when I am in the 42. When pedaling forward the rear derailleur holds the chain on the cassette but not when back pedaling.

I adjusted the high limit screw to allow the chain to be closer to the spokes but that doesn't do squat since it is an issue from the front of the cassette. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done to address this. I guess just don't back pedal in the 42.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    mine does the same in the 42 cog....but I'd prefer it wouldn't do that in fact, let's see if someone has found out a solution to this

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mine also jumps from 10 to 12 on back pedal. I've checked and marked the tooth, only happen on 1 particular tooth on my 10 cog. Asked the local distributor, and they blamed on stiff chain links (even though its brand new). Still no solution...

mtbr member

XX1 jumping cogs when back pedaling

Mine also jumps gears pedaling backwards in the 42 toother. Also on a stumpy evo with 142+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just viewed this thread and try to put mine in 42T back and pedaled backward also, after almost 2 crank rotations it jumped to the next lower sprocket, I will try to know why...mine is a Ibis HD 160

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine jumps from the 10 tooth to 12 tooth cog when back pedaling. I added a washer between the derailleur and the hanger/dropout so I could adjust the high gear limit screw farther - more outboard. The jockey wheel should be lined up with the outer edge of the 10 tooth cog and I couldn't do that without the 1.6mm stainless washer that I added. After I was able to adjust it properly it still jumps or tries to jump occasionally while on the bike stand - maybe ever 4 or 5 complete revolutions of the chain. But while riding it (full suspension) it seems to run smoothly. Something about the slightly compressed suspension while sitting on it seems to have made a difference.

mtbr member
    My XX1 setup runs fine in every gear going forward, however like others have posted, when in the 42T cog and I back pedal on the stand it will jump down a cog or two. No problem when in the 10T cog when pedaling backward. Must be a function of the chain line and the narrow stackup of the cogs. Since it doesn't cause any issues while riding I would write it off as a non-issue and just enjoy my 1x11 setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any updates on this issue?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    So I just learned to deal with it. The only time it becomes a problem is when I f up a steep section and have to back pedal to get the cranks in the right position to restart. What I usually do is just downshift one cog and that will put the derailleur in the right place for where the chain dropped to.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oddly enough, nearly a year later and numerous 24hr solo & other endurance events (and all the saddle time to prepare for them) and the issues is either non existent or I don't notice it anymore.

I will say that sometime last year (Jul or Aug?), SRAM warrantied my rear derailleur and my awesome shop mechanic has kept the bike running through all the racing and training - I've already been through 3 chains just to give you an idea of the hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    bikeguy... have you tried to double shift up 2 gears? If you can't...then it's probably your problem. The b-tension is set too high... you need to make sure the jockey pulley is set low enough to clear 2 gears up. On the 42T cog...it's really big...so you have to set the b screw to be low enough to clear the 42T cog. The other thing is to play with the shifter tension on the handlebar and go both directions until you don't hear any noise from both directions...

this is of course you had set your H and L screw correctly.

mtbr member
    I don't have an xx1 but I've had bikes where the chain would skip when pedaled backwards. The fix was to adjust the B-tension screw.

mtbr member
    hi guys, what size are your chainrings?

a friend was using 30t with no issues. then when he moved to 34t, the same issue came out but only in 42t and some ghost shifting when mashing the pedal.

my initial adjustment was to set the suggested 42t-to-jokey distance (12-16mm). the ghost shifting improved, just needs a little barrel adjustment.
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This happen to me but sometimes just because need some lub on the chain and only in 42T. today I just was riding and when see the chainline with my 32 chaining and the 42T rear, it looks like is too bent from out in the chainring, it make when I pedal backwards the chain try to self-aligning jumping to the 36T, I just got the recommended spacers in my BB. I will experiment removing the 2.5mm spa error from the drive side and place just one of 1.5mm or 1mm to see if still jumps. I will keep updating.